Deconstructed Burrito Casserole is a casserole that will “wow” the family time after time. Delicious shredded chicken breasts seasoned with Taco seasoning, fresh lime juice, smothered in Colby-Jack Cheese, Cheddar Cheese, refried beans, Ro*tel tomatoes, and salsa Verde all between layers of fresh corn tortillas, and topped with more gooey cheese, diced avocado, tomatoes, black olives and fresh chopped cilantro.
Deconstructed Burrito Casserole is as easy as 1-2-3 to make compared to when I’ve made my Burrito Recipe and end up spending time constructing the Burritos and all that happy jazz. I don’t know about you, I just run out of time most work days. I get frustrated if dinner takes too long!
After seeing a delicious looking ” Mexican Lasagna” on Pinterest almost 3 years ago I said… now there’s an idea to be reckoned with, why didn’t I think of that?…I know by now most have all made/seen the “Mexican Lasagna” on Pinterest almost 3 years ago that went viral, this is very similar in a sense of utilizing tortillas as a layer.
Below you will find my simple and easy as 1-2-3 Deconstructed Burrito Casserole that was inspired by Robin Miller’s “Mexican Lasagna“ that aired on Food Network and took Pinterest by storm.
Deconstructed Burrito Casserole
- 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 3 – 6-ounce boneless skinless chicken breasts, sliced
- 1 small yellow onion,diced
- juice of 1 lime
- 1/4 of a cup of water
- 1 package of taco seasoning
- 1 package of corn tortillas
- 2 cans of 10 ounces Ro*tel tomatoes with chilies, divided by 3
- 2 cans of 7 ounce Verde Salsa, divided by 3
- 1 can of 15 ounces refried beans
- 8 ounces of freshly shredded Colby-jack cheese, divided by 4
- 8 ounces freshly shredded cheddar cheese, divided by 4
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1 tomato, diced
- 1 small can of black olives, sliced
- chopped cilantro, garnish
- Sour Cream
- lime wedges, if desired
- Heat 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large metal skillet over medium heat before adding sliced chicken breasts, cook chicken about 5 minutes or so then add diced onion, cook, till chicken is done – about another 7 minutes. Add the juice of 1 lime, 1/4 of a cup of water, and 1 package of taco seasoning. Cook another 4-5 minute on low. Remove from heat, let cool.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Once the chicken has cooled place in a large food processor- pulse 3 or 4 times , careful not to purée chicken only shred – divide shredded chicken in 2.
- Spray a 9 x 13 glass baking dish with cooking spray
- Add a layer of corn tortillas- about 6 tortillas, 1/2 of chicken breast, 1/3 of a can of Ro*tel tomatoes, 1/3 of the Verde Salsa, 1/4 of each cheese- Repeat layer 1 more time.
- The next layer you will do will be a layer of re-fried beans on top of the corn tortillas and 1/4 of each cheese, the final 1/3 of Ro*tel tomatoes, final 1/3 of Verde Salsa, top with final layer of corn tortillas, place the final amount of both cheeses on top of casserole, cover with tin foil and cook about 18 minutes covered and 3-5 minutes uncovered.
- Cool 10-15 minutes before cutting and serving
- May be topped with diced avocado, diced tomatoes, black olives, chopped cilantro, and sour cream if desired.
© Heidy L. McCallum and The McCallum’s Shamrock Patch, 2015 unauthorized use and/or duplication of content/ material without express and written permission from this blog’s author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Heidy L. McCallum and The McCallum’s Shamrock Patch with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.