Burrito Casserole is a casserole that will “wow” the family time after time. Delicious shredded chicken breasts seasoned with Taco seasoning, fresh lime juice, smothered in Colby-Jack Cheese, Cheddar Cheese, refried beans, Ro*tel tomatoes, and salsa Verde all between layers of fresh corn tortillas, and topped with more gooey cheese, diced avocado, tomatoes, black olives, and fresh chopped cilantro.
Burrito Casserole is as easy as 1-2-3 to make compared to when I’ve made my Burrito Recipe and end up spending time constructing the Burritos and all that happy jazz. I don’t know about you; I just run out of time most workdays. I get frustrated if dinner takes too long!
After seeing a delicious-looking ” Mexican Lasagna” on Pinterest almost three years ago, I said… now there’s an idea to be reckoned with, why didn’t I think of that?… I know by now most have all made/seen the “Mexican Lasagna” on Pinterest almost three years ago that went viral, this is very similar in the sense of utilizing tortillas as a layer.
Below you will find my simple and easy as 1-2-3 Burrito Casserole that was inspired by Robin Miller’s “Mexican Lasagna” that aired on Food Network and took Pinterest by storm.
Ingredients needed for the Burrito Casserole
1-2 tablespoons of olive oil
3 – 6-ounce boneless skinless chicken breasts, sliced
One small yellow onion, diced
juice of 1 lime
1/4 of a cup of water
One package of taco seasoning
One package of corn tortillas
Two cans of 10 ounces Ro*tel tomatoes with chilies, divided by 3
Two cans of 7 ounce Verde Salsa, divided by 3
One can of 15 ounce refried beans
Eight ounces of freshly shredded Colby-jack cheese, divided by 4
Eight ounces freshly shredded cheddar cheese, divided by 4
One avocado, diced
One tomato, diced
One small can of black olives, sliced
chopped cilantro, garnish
lime wedges, if desired
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 3-6 ounce boneless skinless chicken breasts sliced
- 1 small onion diced
- 1 lime 1 lime juice of
- ¼ cup water
- 1 package taco seasoning
- 1 package corn tortillas
- 2- 10 ounce Ro*tel tomatoes with chilies divided by 3
- 2-7 ounce can of salsa verde divided by 3
- 1-15 ounce can of refried beans
- 8 ounces Colby-jack cheese freshly shredded divided by 4
- 8 ounces cheddar cheese freshly shredded divided by 4
- 1 avocado diced
- 1 tommato diced
- 1 small can of black olives sliced
- chopped cilantro to garnish
- ½ cup Sour Cream to serve
- 2 limes sliced- if desired
- Heat 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large metal skillet over medium heat before adding sliced chicken breasts. Cook chicken for about 5 minutes or so then add diced onion, cook, till chicken is done – about another 7 minutes. Add the juice of 1 lime, ¼of a cup of water, and 1 package of taco seasoning. Cook another 4-5 minutes on low. Remove from heat, and let cool.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Once the chicken has cooled, place in a large food processor- pulse 3 or 4 times, careful not to purée chicken only shred – divide shredded chicken in 2.
- Spray a 9 x 13 glass baking dish with cooking spray
- Add a layer of corn tortillas- about 6 tortillas, ½ of chicken breast, ⅓ of a can of Ro*tel tomatoes,⅓ of the Verde Salsa, ¼ of each cheese- Repeat layer 1 more time.
- The next layer you will do will be a layer of refried beans on top of the corn tortillas and¼ of each cheese, the final ⅓of Ro*tel tomatoes, final ⅓ of Verde Salsa, top with a final layer of corn tortillas, place the final amount of both kinds of cheese on top of the casserole, cover with tin foil and cook about 18 minutes covered and 3-5 minutes uncovered.
- Cool 10-15 minutes before cutting and serving
- Maybe topped with diced avocado, diced tomatoes, black olives, chopped cilantro, and sour cream if desired.
Although themccallumsshamrockpatch.com attempts to provide accurate nutritional information, these figures should be considered estimates. Varying factors such as product types or brands purchased, natural fluctuations in fresh produce, and how ingredients are processed change the effective nutritional information in any given recipe. Under no circumstances will themccallumsshamrockpatch.com be responsible for any loss or damage resulting from your reliance on nutritional information.
© Heidy L. McCallum and The McCallum’s Shamrock Patch, 2022-2013 unauthorized use and duplication of content/ material without express and written permission from this blog’s author and owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Heidy L. McCallum and The McCallum’s Shamrock Patch with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.