Harp and Guinness Stout Cheese Soup is an all time favorite luncheon idea I came up with years ago after making my husband Guinness Cheese Soup for St. Patrick’s day when we first got married. You simply can not do wrong combining Guinness Stout with Harp Lager, Kerrygold Irish Dubliner cheese, carrots, onions, half and half cream with a simple seasoning of thyme, kosher salt and pepper to make a delicious comforting, warm, tasty soup.
We all know I will look for any reason to dump one of Mr. McCallum’s cold ones in a recipe like the time I made Wisconsin Style Beer Cheese and Bacon Soup last October for Oktoberfest. The flavor of Guinness Stout and Harp Lager just mesh well with one another just a cold Black & Tan do.
It’s one of the last Irish Inspired recipes before St. Patrick’s Day and man is it good!
Below you will find my recipe for Harp and Guinness Stout Cheese Soup with simple to follow instructions to make your own make a delicious comforting, warm, tasty Harp and Guinness Stout Cheese Soup this St. Patrick’s Day.
Harp and Guinness Stout Cheese Soup
- 1 stick of Kerrygold Dubliner butter
- 2 large yellow onions, roughly diced
- 2 carrots, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves peeled garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 24 ounces vegetable broth
- 12 ounces Guinness Stout
- 12 ounces Harp Lager
- 2 cups half and half cream
- 24 ounces Kerrygold Irish Dubliner cheese, freshly grated
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 tablespoon of thyme
- kosher salt, to taste
- fresh ground pepper, to taste
- In a large dutch oven melt 6 tablespoons of Kerrygold Dubliner butter on a lower heat setting once melted add onions, carrots, and garlic, sauté for 5 minutes
- Once onions, carrots, and garlic have sautéed, add 1/2 of a cup of flour stirring constantly as not to burn flour, till flour is a rich light honey color.
- Add 2 cups of vegetable broth, 12 ounces of Guinness Stout, and 12 ounces of Harp Lager , cook for about 15-20 minutes on lower the heat setting, stirring here and there.
- After 15 minutes of cooking time have elapsed very slowly add 2 cups of half and half cream and slowly add 24 ounces of freshly grated Kerrygold Irish Dubliner cheese a little at a time, constantly stirring.
- Add 1/4 of a cup of brown sugar,thyme, kosher salt to taste, and fresh ground pepper, cook on very low stirring here and there for about 10-15 minutes.
- Ladle Harp and Guinness Stout Cheese Soup into crocks or soup cups top with extra Kerrygold Irish Dubliner cheese and serve with Irish Soda bread or bread of choice.
© Heidy L. McCallum and The McCallum’s Shamrock Patch, 2014. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material or photos without express and written permission from this blog’s author and/or owner are strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Heidy L. McCallum and The McCallum’s Shamrock Patch with appropriate and specific direction to the original content. You may not copy and paste recipes to share on Social Platforms.