Champ (brúitín in Irish) or Poundies by a few, is an Irish dish, made by combining mashed potatoes and chopped scallions or spring onions with butter and cream, salt and pepper.It is a simple and inexpensive recipe to make. Champ is also very similar to another Irish dish, colcannon, which uses kale or cabbage in place of scallions or spring onions.
I love a good simple potato recipe, this is simple at it’s very finest… literally the recipe calls for 4 main ingredients and salt and pepper. How can you wrong with simple yet traditional for your celebration this ST Patrick’s Day?
As most of you know I have an Irish husband, what a mix we are him being Irish with me being German and Italian… Makes for some interesting days to say the least at the Patch…However, I enjoy making his favorite traditional foods leading up to ST Patrick’s Day…this recipe being one of them.
In the past Champ was served and enjoyed by Northern Country – Irish purists solely as a main course (not as a side dish) in most countryside homes with a knob of creamy butter. I don’t know about you, I don’t think I would mind a main course of these delicious potatoes at all.
Champ – brúitín- Poundies Recipe
- 8 ounces of half and half cream
- 3/4 of a cup thinly sliced scallions or spring onions
- 2 pounds of small whole potatoes
- 4 tablespoons of unsalted butter + extra for serving
- kosher salt, to taste
- fresh ground pepper, to taste
- Place the scallions aka spring onions and half and half cream in a small pan and heat to Heavy simmer. Take off the heat, allow half and half cream and scallions to infuse flavors together.
- Boil the small whole potatoes in their skins for 30 mins, or until tender. Drain and peel off the skins. Put the potatoes back in the pan, cover with a tight-fitting lid and allow to heat on warm for a few moments.
- Remove the potatoes from the heat and mash the potatoes with the butter until you achieve a smoother texture and no lumps remain.
- Reheat the milk and the spring onions that have been infusing, then gradually beat this into the potatoes, mixing well. Season at this time to taste.
- Serve in separate bowls with creamy butter and enjoy
© Heidy L. McCallum and The McCallum’s Shamrock Patch, 2014. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this blog’s author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Heidy L. McCallum and The McCallum’s Shamrock Patch with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.