Healthy Wild Rice & Citrus Salad is a wonderful winter salad to enjoy with a light meal for lunch or dinner combining healthy yet delicious, nutty flavor of a wild rice blend with perfectly ripe Florida Blood oranges, sweet pink grapefruit, fennel, sweet red bell peppers, yellow bell peppers, fresh ripe avocados, pomegranate seeds with a fabulous balsamic and oil dressing.
Have you ever tried Blood oranges? No?… If not, you absolutely have to try them this season; blood Oranges are red-blushed with an orange skin. Their insides range in color from dark pink to crimson red to a bright burgundy. They taste slightly tart, yet still deliciously sweet. Blood oranges add so much color and nutrition to this dish.
Wild rice has long been a favored rice of many; wild rice has a slightly higher protein content than most other whole grains. It is an excellent source of fiber, folate, magnesium, phosphorus, manganese, zinc, Vitamin B6, and niacin. Need I say more about this wonderful Super Salad? I think not!
Healthy Wild Rice & Citrus Salad
- cup of wild rice and brown rice blend, non-GMO verified
- 2 and 1/2 cups of vegetable stock
- 2 teaspoons of quality virgin olive oil
- kosher salt, to taste
- Florida pink grapefruit, thinly sliced
- 2 blood oranges, thinly sliced
- a bulb of fennel, thinly sliced, reserve tops
- 1/4 of a cup thinly sliced red bell pepper
- 1/4 of a cup thinly sliced yellow bell pepper
- 1 Florida avocado diced
- juice of 1 lemon
- balsamic and oil dressing, your brand
- Pomegranate seeds, to garnish
- freshly ground black pepper, if desired
- Rinse the wild rice: Place the wild rice in a fine mesh strainer and rinse in the sink under cold running water. Shake to drain.
- Bring the rice and stock to a boil. Place the rice in the saucepan and add 2 and 1/2 cups of stock along with 2 teaspoons of virgin olive oil and a pinch of salt. Cover and bring to a boil over high heat
- Reduce to a simmer: When the vegetable stock has reached a boil, lower the heat to maintain a slow but steady simmer. Keep the pot tightly covered.Cook simmering for about 20-25 minutes or till done
- Thinly slice the Florida pink grapefruit and the blood oranges utilizing a slicing mandolin or sharp knife (careful of your fingers trust me on this one) Once done remove peels by cutting along peel with sharp kitchen sheers. Slice grapefruit and oranges slices in half afterward.
- Thinly slice fennel reserving the tops for later use in the salad, sliced bell pepper, and yellow bell pepper.
- Slice one Florida avocado in half, remove seed and dice avocado into bite-sized pieces. Place in the small bowl sprinkle juice of one lemon over and lightly toss to prevent discoloration of avocado.
- Gently remove pomegranate seeds from pod and reserve for later use.
- Place wild rice that has cooled to room temperature in a glass serving dish large enough to hold all ingredients, add thinly sliced Florida grapefruit, blood oranges, thinly sliced fennel, red bell pepper, yellow bell pepper and diced Florida avocado and very gently toss ingredients.
- Drizzle with your own homemade or favorite brand balsamic and oil dressing.
- Garnish with pomegranate seeds and fennel tops if desired.