My Chicken Enchilada inspired chicken Enchilada Verde Soup with Verde Sauce recipe is made with shredded chicken breast, fresh tomatillos, cloves of garlic, jalapeno, green chile peppers, fresh diced tomatoes, sharp cheddar cheese, cilantro, and lime and topped with sour cream, chopped cilantro, homemade tortilla strips, and diced avocado.
Chicken Enchiladas are a favorite of mine. I purchased all the ingredients to make Chicken Enchiladas with Verde Sauce the other day and seriously needed to use the produce before it went to waste. Alas, there was only one thing stopping me from my task this after, I no longer wanted the Chicken Enchiladas. I wanted a warm, comforting soup in a major way today… Craving a warm, comforting soup.
I sat down, weighing my options. Let the products take a possible hit, or use them in a soup recipe. I decided to Google some soups. Of course, there were the popular Stuffed Pepper Soup and 8 million other soups made from popular casseroles that I’m not in the mood to eat or don’t have all the ingredients. CRAP! (That’s not exactly what I was thinking) I don’t want those soups today, and I want something different. So I opened the refrigerator again for the 18th time to see what I had to make soup. Then VIOLA hit me like a ton of bricks “Chicken Enchilada Verde Soup.”
Have you ever started craving one thing and turned it into a completely different one by the time you made it? Crazy right? I do this all the time. I could start craving tacos and then want nachos. You never know. Below you will find my delicious warm, comforting recipe with simple-to-follow instructions to make your own Chicken Enchilada Verde Soup on a dreary rainy day.
Chicken Enchilada Verde Soup
3/4 pound of fresh tomatillos, husked
1/2 medium white onion diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 green chile, seeds and stems removed, diced
1/2 cup finely chopped cilantro
juice of 2 lime limes
4 cups of chicken broth
4 cups of cooked chicken breast, shredded
1 cup of organic frozen corn, non-GMO verified
2 cups of diced tomatoes seed removed
2 jalapeño peppers seed removed and diced
1/2 of teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon Mexican oregano
1/2 cup chopped cilantro
1 cup of sharp shredded cheddar cheese
1/4 cup of half-and-half cream
3 crumbled fresh corn tortillas to thicken
1/4 of a cup of green scallions
freshly ground pepper
Garnish & toppings
sliced jalapeño peppers
1 avocado peeled, pitted, diced, or sliced for serving
Chicken Enchilada Verde Soup
- ¾ pound tomatillos fresh, husked
- ½ medium white onion diced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 2 jalapeños
- 1 green chile seeds and stems removed, diced
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 4 cups chicken breast cooked and shredded
- 1 cup frozen corn organic, non-GMO verified
- 2 cups tomatoes seed removed, diced
- 2 jalapeño peppers seed removed and diced
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon Mexican oregano dried
- ½ cup cilantro chopped
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese shredded
- ¼ cup half and half cream
- 2 lime juice of, divided by 2
- 3 corn tortillas crumbled, to thicken
- ¼ cup green scallions
- kosher salt to taste
- black pepper to taste
Garnish & toppings
- sour cream
- cilantro chopped
- tortilla strips
- lime wedges
- sliced jalapeño peppers
- 1 avocado peeled, pitted, diced, or sliced for serving
- Place tomatillos in a large pot, fill with enough water to cover the fresh tomatillos with – bring the tomatillos and water to a full boil, then cut heat and simmer uncovered for 10-12 minutes- remove from heat at this time and allow to cool for about 12 minutes
- Place the cooked tomatillos in a food processor or blender, along with 1 cup of the water tomatillos were cooked in. Add to the food processor or blender the onion, garlic, jalapeños, green chile, cilantro and fresh lime juice. Blend until it becomes a smooth texture.
- Place the salsa verde into a large enough pot to accommodate all ingredients. Add the chicken, broth, shredded chicken, organic corn, diced tomatoes, diced jalapeño peppers, cumin, oregano, cilantro, kosher salt and fresh ground pepper. Bring to a slight boil and then cut to a simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add the shredded sharp cheddar cheese, occasionally stirring, continue to cook until the cheese has completely melted, about 5 minutes. Stir in the half and half cream, crumble 3 corn tortillas in soup, stir and simmer for 5 more minutes or until thickened.
- Add the additional lime juice – adjust seasonings if desired. Add ¼ cup of green scallions to soup and remove from heat immediately.
- Ladle into soup dish top and garnish with sour cream, cilantro, tortilla strips, lime wedges, sliced jalapeño peppers and diced or sliced avocado.
Don’t forget to Pin or Print the recipe for later!