15 bean Cajun Soup is a delicious slightly spicy recipe that is almost effortless utilizing a fast cook method with Hurst’s® 15 Bean Soup, a homemade Roux, Andouille Sausage, onions, carrots, celery, minced garlic, diced tomatoes with chilies, hot sauce, and Cajun seasoning served over white rice.
The other day I was shopping at the market in the bean aisle for dried beans and came across a bag of Hurst’s® 15 Bean Soup next to the beans; of course, I thought, hmm, technically it’s just dried beans with a seasoning packet– I flipped over the package and noticed a recipe on the back of the bag… I thought their method was a good baseline recipe; however, changes needed to be made. I decided to make my purchase of Hurst’s® 15 Bean Soup for only $2.35 and grab the other ingredients necessary for making it suitable for my taste.
The very first thing I decided to do was to get rid of that seasoning packet; I was after the beans. I can use my own favorite Cajun seasoning; also, there were not many goodies involved in this recipe; it was super basic – I’ll fix that in an instant. I don’t care very much for ham so much that it was the next ingredient to get tossed out of the basic recipe. I have some Andouille Sausage that’s begging to be added instead to other must-have ingredients.
Now we are going to toss out the misconception that soaking beans “overnight” is the best method- I don’t know about you; I don’t have time for an 8-hour soak of beans, why would I wait 8 hours or more to soak beans when I can have the recipe ready for 1 hour? Actually, why would you either? Chuck that notion out the window.
Directions for fast bean soak
Be sure to wash and sort your beans before soak to remove debris or bad beans.
To quick cook beans, put the beans in salted water- use about one teaspoon of kosher salt (water should be 1 inch above dried beans) in a saucepan or Dutch oven. Bring the dried beans to a full boil. Allow them to boil for about 5 minutes.
Remove the saucepan or Dutch oven from the heat, cover it with a tight-fitting lid, and let the beans soak for at least 1 hour.
Drain beans in a colander and thoroughly rinse beans.
Ingredients for 15 Bean Cajun Soup
Hurst’s® 15 Bean Soup
Andouille sausage or smoked sausage
large onion, chopped
Tomatoes with chilies
Juice of 1 lemon
Cooked white rice
15 Bean Cajun Soup
- 1 package Hurt's 15 Bean Soup
- 3 tablespoons Unsalted Butter
- 3 tablespoons All-purpose Flour
- 24 ounces Chicken broth
- 4 cups Water
- 1 pound Andouille Sausage or Smoked Sausage sliced
- 1 large Yellow Onion diced
- 1 cup Carrots diced
- 1 cup Celery diced
- 4 cloves Garlic minced
- 1-15- ounce can tomatoes with chilies diced
- 1 tablespoon Hot sauce
- 1 tablespoon Cajun Season to taste
- 3 sprigs Fresh Thyme
- Kosher Salt to taste
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- Juice of 1 lemon
- White Rice to serve
- Green Scallions to garnish
Directions for fast bean soak
- Be sure to wash and sort your beans before soak to remove debris or bad beans.
- To quick cook beans simply put the beans in salted water- use about 1 teaspoon of kosher salt (water should be 1 inch above dried beans) in a saucepan or Dutch oven. Bring the dried beans to a full boil. Allow them to boil for about 5 minutes.
- Remove the saucepan or Dutch oven from the heat, cover it with a tight-fitting lid and let the beans soak for at least 1 hour.
- Drain beans in a colander and thoroughly rinse beans.
Directions for 15 Bean Cajun Soup
- Place cooked beans a large saucepan or Dutch oven, then add 3 cups of chicken broth and 4 cups of water bring to a full boil then reduce heat to low-medium heat and simmer 1 hour and 40 minutes.
- Roux: In a skillet melt 3 tablespoons of butter, once melted sprinkle 3 tablespoons of flour into the melted butter. Cook gently moving around mixture to combine and lightly brown to a light amber color (careful not to over brown roux) reserve till needed.
- Once done simmering for 1 hour and 40 minutes add roux from above, 1 pound of sliced Andouille sausage, chopped onion, diced carrots, diced celery, minced garlic, 1 can of diced tomatoes with chilies, hot sauce, Cajun seasoning, dried thyme, kosher salt, and pepper, add juice of one lemon – simmer 45 minutes.
- Serve over white rice in a bowl and garnished with scallions.