Homemade Creamy Chicken Soup is the perfect winter warmer combining diced white chicken breasts, carrots, celery, and sweet onions in a delicious homemade creamy soup base that has been seasoned with the perfect amount of herbs and spices to warm your belly and put a smile on your lips.
I love a good winter soup that is homemade with love and fresh ingredients – canned soup is not my forte, and I avoid it like the plague on a bad day; I know that sounds a little melodramatic. I don’t care for a ton of preservatives and gobs of sodium in my food- It’s just not very healthy or tasty.
Can I show you why I don’t like canned soups for my recipes? Just take a quick gander and decide for yourself…
Ingredients in unmentioned name brand: Chicken Stock, Chicken Fat, Modified Food Starch, Wheat Flour, Chicken Meat, Cream (Milk), Contains Less than 2% of Salt, Vegetable Oil, Water, Whey (Dehydrated), Soy Protein Concentrate, Mechanically Separated Chicken (Dehydrated), Monosodium Glutamate, Yeast Extract, Flavoring, Modified Food Starch, Sodium Phosphate, Soy Protein Isolate, Chicken Flavor, Beta Carotene, Chicken (Dehydrated), Butter (Cream, Annatto).
Do you have a better idea of why I don’t care for canned soups? Exactly my point- Now keep in mind I’m not putting down the canned soup industry or even the people who like to eat this modern convenience food by any means; you eat what makes you happy.
Below you will find my super delicious “Homemade Creamy Chicken Soup- Chunky Style” with super simple and easy directions to make your own healthy homemade winter deliciousness in a bowl.
Creamy Chicken Soup- Chunky Style
Ingredients for Soup Base
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup sweet onion diced
- 1 cup celery chopped
- 2 medium carrots diced
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- ⅓ cup of all-purpose flour
- 45 ounces of chicken broth low sodium
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 3 tablespoons fresh parsley chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- ¼ cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
Ingredients for the 2nd phase of Creamy Chicken Soup
- 2- 6- ounce grilled chicken breasts diced
- 2 carrots thinly sliced
- 2 stalks celery thinly sliced
- ½ sweet onion chopped
- fresh parsley for garnish
- Melt the unsalted butter in a large stockpot over medium heat. Add the sweet onion, diced celery, diced carrots, and minced garlic cloves– Cook covered stirring occasionally until all vegetables are soft (about 12 -14 minutes) Add the all-purpose flour and cook stirring, for about 2-3 minutes more careful not to burn the flour.
- Pour in the chicken broth and bring to a boil while stirring constantly. Tie the parsley sprigs, thyme, and bay leaf together with a piece of kitchen-grade twine or string making a herb bouquet — add herb bouquet to the soup. Lower the heat and simmer for 20 minutes or so. Turn the burner off temperately.
- Whisk the heavy cream, sour cream, and salt into the soup and season with fresh ground pepper to your own taste. Remove and discard the bouquet of herbs.
- Using a soup emulsifier, emulsify the soup until completely smooth and creamy- no chunks should remain.
- Add diced chicken, thinly sliced carrots, sliced celery, chopped sweet onion, and place on low to medium heat and simmer for about 20 minutes till vegetables are tender yet still have some firmness left to them.
- Garnish with chopped fresh parsley for a garnish -Serve with crusty bread of your choice
© Heidy L. McCallum and The McCallum’s Shamrock Patch, 2021-2013 unauthorized use and/or duplication of content/ material without express and written permission from this blog’s author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Heidy L. McCallum and The McCallum’s Shamrock Patch with proper and specific direction to the original content.