Delicious Broccoli and Cheddar Soup with Smoked Ham not only looks amazing with fresh healthy bite-sized pieces of broccoli, smoked ham, freshly grated tangy tasting sharp and mild cheddar cheeses and the perfect spice blend it definitely will warm your belly and soul this winter with non-stop goodness.
There’s nothing like a steaming pot of yumminess on a cold day in the dreary month of January. I love how bright and cheery the Broccoli and Cheddar Soup with Smoked Ham recipe looks on dreary days It’s like a little sunshine radiating from my soup pot..the bonus to this soup is the fact it’s so easy to make it’s almost ridiculous!
I may not have lived in Ohio for 15 years but I have never given up my soup habit of at least once a week in the winter. Here in Haines City, Florida, we do get a bit of change of weather and I use that cooler weather to my fullest advantage from the end of October till March to make all my classic winter favorites I enjoyed in Ohio.
Below you will find my super easy and delicious recipe for Broccoli and Cheese with Smoked Ham with complete simple to follow instructions so you can get started on your own pot of Sunshine on your next dreary day.
Broccoli & Cheese Soup with Smoked Ham
- 3 to 4 heads of fresh broccoli, in bite-sized, pcs
- 2 cups of diced smoked cooked ham
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 1 whole sweet onion, diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, pressed
- 1/3 cup of all-purpose flour
- 4 cups of whole milk
- 1 cup of heavy cream
- 2 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup of grated mild cheddar cheese
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- Kosher Salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- parsley to garnish
Directions for Broccoli & Cheese Soup with Smoked Ham
- Fill a large a steam pot to the water fill line then place bite-sized pieces of broccoli in the steamer basket to steam for about 3 minutes. Remove the steamer basket from steamer pot and set to the side on a heat-resistant area till ready for use.
- Place 1 stick of butter in a large Dutch Oven or pot to slowly melt, add the diced onions cook until softened about 3 minutes.
- Add pressed garlic to onions and butter. Sprinkle the 1/3 cup of flour on top of onions and butter. Stir to combine and cook until the flour is absorbed and looks about a light honey color, about 1 minute or so.
- Add the 4 cups of milk and 1 cup of heavy cream, steamed broccoli, diced cooked ham, kosher salt and black pepper to your taste.
- Cover the Dutch Oven or pot and reduce the heat to low. Simmer the Broccoli and Cheese with Ham soup until the broccoli is fork-tender, 18 to 25 minutes.
- Stir in the cheese and allow to melt constantly stirring till cheese has completely melted.
- Once done completely remove from heat and let cool about 10 minutes before serving.
- Garnish will parsley and serve with crusty bread.
© Heidy L. McCallum and The McCallum’s Shamrock Patch, 2018-2018. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material or photos without express and written permission from this blog’s author and/or owner are strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Heidy L. McCallum and The McCallum’s Shamrock Patch with appropriate and specific direction to the original content. You may not copy and paste recipes to share on Social Platforms.