Chili Taters Casserole is one of my favorite childhood dinners my Aunt used to make combining seasoned ground beef OR ground turkey, potatoes, kidney beans, tomatoes, diced chilies, white cheddar and sliced jalapeño all baked to perfection for a delicious, quick and easy meal in one skillet for less clean-up time in the kitchen. If you love Chili and Potatoes this is a definite must try this fall.
I’m not even sure how my Aunt came up with this casserole, it could have been a friend, family member or just one of her 1980’s concoctions.We have often called her and my mother the “Casserole Queens” for a good reason. Mention you need a casserole they will suddenly hand you a fistful of recipes ranging from the 50’s and today.
The ingredients for Chili Taters Casserole are inexpensive, simple and easy to find at your favorite local market and one hint this tasty dish contains absolutely no “Tater Tots” or “Processed Cheeses” You can also omit the ground beef and use ground turkey OR leave out the meat completely for a Meatless Dish.
Chili Taters Casserole
- 1 pound lean ground beef or Turkey
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 1/8 teaspoon of cumin
- 1 packet of Sazon seasoning
- Kosher salt
- fresh ground pepper
- 4 -5 large russet potatoes scrubbed and thinly sliced (divided by 3)
- 1 -14-ounce can of organic diced tomatoes
- 1 – 14-ounce can of organic tomato sauce
- 1-24 ounce can of organic kidney beans
- 1 minced red chili pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- kosher salt
- fresh ground pepper
- 1 thinly sliced jalapeño pepper
- 8 ounces freshly grated white cheddar, divided x 2
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Heat a very large cast iron skillet over medium heat, place 1 pound lean ground beef in cast iron skillet, add 1 medium diced onion, 1 clove of minced garlic, 1/8 teaspoon of cumin, 1 packet of Sazon seasoning, kosher salt and fresh ground pepper to taste. Start breaking meat up into smaller pieces while browning. Cook till no longer pink and completely browned. (Drain beef if needed) place in a glass dish and reserve.
- In a large glass dish combine cooked beef or ground turkey, add organic diced tomatoes, organic tomato juice, organic kidney beans, 1 minced red minced chili peppers, chopped cilantro, cumin,paprika, oregano, kosher salt and fresh ground pepper, thoroughly combine all ingredients.
- Do not wash cast iron skillet, wipe clean with paper towel and spray lightly with cooking spray.
- Ladle a small amount of chili mixture in bottom of cast iron skillet, arrange 1/2 of thinly sliced potatoes evenly in the bottom of cast iron skillet, add another layer of chilli, layer 1/2 of white cheddar cheese, thinly sliced potatoes, layer of chili mixture, last layer of potatoes, top with remaining chili mixture and white cheddar.
- Cover cast iron skillet with heavy-duty aluminum foil and bake at 375 degrees for 35 minutes, remove from oven place on heat safe area and top with jalapeno peppers. Recover with foil and bake another 15- 20 minutes.
© Heidy L. McCallum and The McCallum’s Shamrock Patch, 2014. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material or photos without express and written permission from this blog’s author and/or owner are strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Heidy L. McCallum and The McCallum’s Shamrock Patch with appropriate and specific direction to the original content. You may not copy and paste recipes to share on Social Platforms.