It’s October friends and there’s nothing like a wonderful steaming bowl of a Wisconsin Style Beer Cheese and Bacon Soup in the Fall. This delightfully sinful soup contains Wisconsin Style Cheddar, Amber Bock Beer, veggies, and Hickory smoked Bacon in one delicious, warm and inviting bowl.
Wisconsin is notoriously famous for a few things The Green Bay Packers, the German-American population, Beer, and their delicious Cheddar Cheese. How can you go wrong combining all the above? Our family being of a Bavarian heritage on my dad’s side enjoy German- American recipes and this is one we have all fallen in love with after having this tasty soup during one of our vacations to Black River Falls, Wisconsin in the early 90’s.
Since medieval times, Europeans have made “Beer Soup” traditionally a roux-based soup made with beer and sometimes potatoes as a thickener. Now Wisconsin Style Beer Cheese and Bacon Soup may have taken a slight delicious and tasty detour … once you taste this fantastic rich and delicious detour you’ll be glad the Wisconsin German-Americans took that slight detour!
Below you will find a super easy to follow recipe for my Wisconsin Style Beer Cheese and Bacon Soup and specific directions so you can enjoy this Medieval Times Spin-off of Beer Soup and impress your family and dear friends.
Wisconsin Style Beer Cheese and Bacon Soup
- 1 stick of sweet cream butter
- 2 large yellow onions, roughly diced
- 3 stalks of celery, finely diced
- 3 cloves peeled garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 24 ounces Amber Bock beer
- 1 medium potato peeled and finely grated
- 2 cups half and half
- 1 tablespoon German Style mustard
- 24 ounces Wisconsin style sharp cheddar, freshly grated
- 1 tablespoon of sugar
- kosher salt, to taste
- fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 8 slices of hickory smoked bacon, crisp and chopped
- In a large dutch oven melt, 6 tablespoons of sweet cream butter on a lower heat setting once melted add onions, celery, and garlic, sauté for 3-4 minutes
- Once onions, celery, and garlic have sautéed, add 1/2 of a cup of flour stirring constantly as not to burn flour, till flour is a rich light honey color.
- Add 2 cups of chicken broth, 24 ounces of Amber Bock Beer, and one grated medium potato, cook for about 10-15 minutes on the lower heat setting, stirring here and there.
- After 10-15 minutes of cooking time have elapsed very slowly add 2 cups of half and half cream, 1 tablespoon of German-style mustard , and slowly add 24 ounces of freshly grated Wisconsin-style cheddar cheese a little at a time, constantly stirring.
- Add 1 tablespoon of sugar, kosher salt to taste, and fresh ground pepper, cook on very low stirring here and there for about 10 minutes.
- Ladle Beer Cheese and Bacon Soup into crocks or soup cups top with chopped crisp bacon and serve with rye bread or bread of choice.
© Heidy L. McCallum and The McCallum’s Shamrock Patch, 2014. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material or photos without express and written permission from this blog’s author and/or owner are strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Heidy L. McCallum and The McCallum’s Shamrock Patch with appropriate and specific direction to the original content. You may not copy and paste recipes to share on Social Platforms.