I love a tasty homemade Potato Soup, and this Copycat Loaded Baked Potato Soup inspired by our local Kissimmee, Florida, Chili’s restaurant goes above and beyond my expectations for a Potato Soup combining potatoes, extra sharp cheddar cheese, sour cream, bacon, and scallions all in a delicious super thick soup.
Copycat Loaded Baked Potato Soup is warm and inviting comfort food that I instantly fell in love with last weekend when my husband and I went to the Chili’s Restaurant in Kissimmee, Florida, for lunch. I am so glad I ordered it. I loved it so much I had to make this delicious, warm, and ever so inviting comfort food today as soon as I got off work. After all, I’ve been craving it since eating it last weekend.
I was fortunate to have a chat with the cook at Chili’s that afternoon at lunch and pick his brain a little. Of course, due to a corporate policy, they can’t disclose a corporate-owned recipe. He let me tell him what I thought was involved and would nod and smile in an agreement or shake his head no when I got it wrong. Well, I guess I had a bit of a start figuring this recipe out, at least. That was better than nothing.
I decided to go with the flow and use the main ingredients I knew were in this yummy comforting soup and wing a little it on the others. I have to say I am thrilled with the outcome of my Loaded Baked Potato Soup I made today. I did make one significant change; I used flour versus the cornstarch thickener. I am not big on using cornstarch as a thickening agent. However, feel free to use it if you prefer it.
Below you will find my step-by-step recipe and easy-to-follow instructions to be able to enjoy this merely delicious Copycat Loaded Baked Potato Soup – Inspired by our Chili’s in Kissimmee, Florida.
Ingredients needed to Make Copycat Loaded Baked Potato Soup
One pound of hickory smoked bacon, divided by 2
32-ounces low sodium chicken broth
5-6 large Russet potatoes, scrubbed, peeled, and diced
One large Vidalia onion chopped
Eight ounces of sour cream
One cup heavy cream
Twelve ounces of extra sharp cheddar cheese freshly grated, 4 ounces reserved
1/4 of a cup all-purpose flour or a gluten-free thickener
3/4 of a cup of ice water
Kosher salt, to taste
Fresh ground peppercorns, to taste
One bunch of green scallions, thinly sliced
Copycat Loaded Baked Potato Soup
- 1 pound hickory-smoked bacon divided by 2
- 32- ounces low sodium chicken broth may sub with water
- 5-6 large Russet potatoes scrubbed, peeled and diced
- 1 large Vidalia onion chopped
- 8 ounces sour cream
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 12 ounces extra-sharp cheddar cheese freshly grated -4 ounces reserved
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour or a gluten-free thickener
- ¾ cup ice water
- kosher salt to taste
- fresh ground peppercorns to taste
- 1 bunch green scallions thinly sliced
- Heat a large Dutch oven on the stovetop for a few moments on medium heat, arrange bacon strips in Dutch Oven and cook until crisp. Remove from Dutch oven and place on a plate lined with paper towels to remove excess oils from bacon.
- Drain Dutch Oven of Bacon grease and either reserve for later use or dispose of in proper manner, do not wash the Dutch Oven; place 32-ounces of chicken broth in Dutch Oven along with 5-6 large Russet potatoes that have been diced, 1 large chopped Vidalia onion, use kosher salt to your taste to season broth (I used about 1 teaspoon in mine) Cook potatoes on medium heat about 25 minutes (they will slightly break down which is perfectly normal and expected.) Reduce heat to low at this time.
- Chop crisp bacon and divide in 2, add ½ of chopped crisp bacon to the Dutch oven along with potatoes and Vidalia onion. Add 8 ounces of sour cream, 1 cup of heavy cream, 8 ounces of freshly grated sharp cheddar cheese, kosher salt. and freshly ground pepper, stir till all ingredients are incorporated and cheese has completely melted.
- In a large measuring cup or bowl large enough to hold ¼ cup of flour and ¾ cup of ice water, whisk together flour and ice water till flour is completely dissolved. Once completely, dissolved add mixture to Dutch Oven slowly stirring the entire time. Continue cooking on very low heat for about 15 minutes till completely thickened.
- Once done remove from heat, place in serving bowls and top with bacon, reserved extra sharp cheddar cheese, and sliced green scallions.
Although themccallumsshamrockpatch.com attempts to provide accurate nutritional information, these figures should be considered estimates. Varying factors such as product types or brands purchased, natural fluctuations in fresh produce, and how ingredients are processed change the effective nutritional information in any given recipe. Under no circumstances will themccallumsshamrockpatch.com be responsible for any loss or damage resulting from your reliance on nutritional information.
I, Heidy L. McCallum, have not been sponsored or have received monetary commissions, sponsorship, coupons, free food, or benefits from our local Chili’s restaurant to mention the Chili’s name or Kissimmee, Florida location on my blog. This recipe is not a recipe owned by Chili’s corporate office by any means and has not been endorsed by them in any manner as such.
If you love this recipe for Copycat Loaded Baked Potato Soup, you may like these suggestions.
- Copycat Progresso Chickarina Soup is my ode to a childhood favorite of my son. One of the convenience foods in a can; we sometimes would make when he wasn’t feeling well. The combination of a flavorful broth with tiny chicken meatballs, carrots, celery, and little pearl pasta came together on a cold day.
- Southern-Style Corn and Potato Soup is the perfect soup except for the rule during the summer months. Creamy, thick, and delicious are some of the keywords that come to mind when eating this Southern-Style Corn and Potato Soup. Made with leftover fresh sweet corn on the cob, sliced russet potatoes, bite-size smoked sausage slices, chopped sweet red mini peppers, celery, heavy cream, garden-fresh herbs, and Cajun seasoning.
- Bratwurst Cheddar Potato Soup is a creamy, cheesy, thick, hearty soup that combines most of our husband’s favorite man-approved ingredients. Quality grilled Bratwurst sausages, deliciously sharp Wisconsin-style cheddar cheese, and chunky potatoes simmered to perfection.
© Heidy L. McCallum and The McCallum’s Shamrock Patch, 2022- 2013. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material or photos without express and written permission from this blog’s author and/or owner are strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Heidy L. McCallum and The McCallum’s Shamrock Patch with appropriate and specific direction to the original content. You may not copy and paste recipes to share on Social Platforms.