Football Season is knocking at our front door. Week 1 starts in two short days…The Packers will VS The Seahawks) I am totally amped for The Football parties to get started! My recipe for Southwestern Potato White Bean and Chicken Soup is perfect when entertaining friends this Football Season. It’s simple and so delicious combining Chicken, Corn, Potatoes, Whites Beans, Tomatoes with Chiles and topped with Avocado.
This time of year has always been my favorite; it’s so beautiful and there are so many things I enjoy doing outdoors. In Central Florida, I don’t get to see the season change like when I lived in Ohio. I miss that every Fall… To make up for missing the season change here in Florida you will find I decorate like a crazy person buying all sorts of the spectacular Fall decorations to make our home look more like Fall up North each year. You name it I use it to decorate, pumpkins, gourds, fall leaves, scarecrows, hay bales, corn husks, the list goes on and on.
Fall is a magical time where before everything becomes more beautiful before dying off in the cold hard bitter winter. Everything becomes more visual and vibrant, mother nature’s gift to all of us before she places everything in sleep mode. It’s the perfect time of year to enjoy warm soups and adorable clothing that has been hiding away in your closet. Most of all it’s the perfect time to try my recipe for Southwestern Potato White Bean and Chicken Soup and impress your friends and family this game day!
Southwestern Potato White Bean and Chicken Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, diced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 24 ounces low sodium chicken broth
- 2 ears of corn, kernels removed
- 2 jalapeño peppers, seeds removed and diced
- 4-5 medium potatoes diced
- 3 cans white beans, drained rinsed
- 2 cans diced tomatoes with chiles
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 1 teaspoon of cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- kosher salt, to taste
- ground pepper, to taste
- sour cream
- sliced avocados
- freshly grated cheese
- additional chopped cilantro
- sliced jalapeño peppers
- sliced lime
- crusty bread
- tortilla strips
- Preheat a large Dutch oven or soup Calderon on medium heat place one tablespoon of olive oil in a skillet (allow to heat) add diced uncooked chicken breast cook diced chicken till completely done(about 6 minutes) Add chopped onions, cook for about 2-3 minutes then add minced garlic.
- Add 24 ounces of chicken broth, corn kernels, 2 chopped jalapeño peppers, diced potatoes, 3 cans of white beans, diced tomatoes with chiles, bring to a simmer and cook for about 10-12 minutes.
- Once ingredients have simmered 10-12 minutes reduce heat to low, add 1/2 cup heavy cream, 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro, 1 teaspoon of cumin, 1/2 teaspoon of chili powder, kosher salt, and ground pepper to taste cook on low heat about 20 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Serve in bowls with crusty bread or tortilla strips if desired and garnish with additional ingredients such as sour cream, sliced avocados, freshly grated cheese, chopped cilantro, sliced jalapeño peppers, or sliced lime.
© Heidy L. McCallum and The McCallum’s Shamrock Patch, 2018-2013. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material or photos without express and written permission from this blog’s author and/or owner are strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Heidy L. McCallum and The McCallum’s Shamrock Patch with appropriate and specific direction to the original content. You may not copy and paste recipes to share on Social Platforms, please use share buttons provided.