Beans, Legumes/ Fall Menu/ Lunch/ One Pot/Skillet Meals/ Soups/ Soups and Stews/ Uncategorized/ Winter Menu

Southwestern Potato White Bean Chicken Soup

Football Season is knocking at our front door. Week 1 starts in two short days…The Packers will VS The Seahawks) I am totally amped for The Football parties to get started! My recipe for Southwestern Potato White Bean and Chicken Soup is perfect when entertaining friends this Football Season. It’s simple and so delicious combining Chicken, Corn, Potatoes, Whites Beans, Tomatoes with Chiles and topped with Avocado.

This time of year has always been my favorite; it’s so beautiful and there are so many things I enjoy doing outdoors. In Central Florida, I don’t get to see the season change like when I lived in Ohio. I miss that every Fall… To make up for missing the season change here in Florida you will find I decorate like a crazy person buying all sorts of the spectacular Fall decorations to make our home look more like Fall up North each year. You name it I use it to decorate, pumpkins, gourds, fall leaves, scarecrows, hay bales, corn husks, the list goes on and on.

#SouthWestern #Potato #Bean and #Chicken #soup

Fall is a magical time where before everything becomes more beautiful before dying off in the cold hard bitter winter. Everything becomes more visual and vibrant, mother nature’s gift to all of us before she places everything in sleep mode. It’s the perfect time of year to enjoy warm soups and adorable clothing that has been hiding away in your closet. Most of all it’s the perfect time to try my recipe for Southwestern Potato White Bean and Chicken Soup and impress your friends and family this game day!

Southwestern Potato White Bean and Chicken Soup
  • 2 cans diced tomatoes with chiles
  • 1/2 cup heavy cream
  • 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
  • 1 teaspoon of cumin
  • 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
  • kosher salt, to taste
  • ground pepper, to taste
Other ingredients
  • sour cream
  • sliced avocados
  • freshly grated cheese
  • additional chopped cilantro
  • sliced jalapeño peppers
  • sliced lime
  • crusty bread
  • tortilla strips
Directions
  1. Preheat a large Dutch oven or soup Calderon on medium heat place one tablespoon of olive oil in a skillet (allow to heat) add diced uncooked chicken breast cook diced chicken till completely done(about 6 minutes) Add chopped onions, cook for about 2-3 minutes then add minced garlic.
  2. Add 24 ounces of chicken broth, corn kernels, 2 chopped jalapeño peppers, diced potatoes, 3 cans of white beans, diced tomatoes with chiles, bring to a simmer and cook for about 10-12 minutes.
  3. Once ingredients have simmered 10-12 minutes reduce heat to low, add 1/2 cup heavy cream, 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro, 1 teaspoon of cumin, 1/2 teaspoon of chili powder, kosher salt, and ground pepper to taste cook on low heat about 20 minutes stirring occasionally.
  4. Serve in bowls with crusty bread or tortilla strips if desired and garnish with additional ingredients such as sour cream, sliced avocados, freshly grated cheese, chopped cilantro, sliced jalapeño peppers, or sliced lime.

© Heidy L. McCallum and The McCallum’s Shamrock Patch, 2018-2013. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material or photos without express and written permission from this blog’s author and/or owner are strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Heidy L. McCallum and The McCallum’s Shamrock Patch with appropriate and specific direction to the original content. You may not copy and paste recipes to share on Social Platforms, please use share buttons provided.

Sandra Shaffer
    September 10, 2014 at 6:40 pm

Totally loving soups right now, even if it’s still sunny here in CA! I’ve had a similar soup, but without the potatoes.Love the addition in your recipe! Creamy!

September 10, 2014 at 7:01 pm

Thanks! It’s still warm and sunny here in Florida as well but I’m originally from Ohio do my change of season clock starts to kick in!

KC Kahn the Kitchen Chopper
    September 8, 2014 at 1:23 pm

Happy to see your Southwestern Potato White Bean and Chicken Soup at our #theWeekendSocial. It’s on my “to do” list. YUM!

September 8, 2014 at 7:49 pm

Thanks I had a great time checking out all the recipes and Diy projects

Renee's Kitchen Adventures
    September 3, 2014 at 3:02 pm

It’s almost soup season, and this one will be made in my house. Such great flavors!

KC Kahn the Kitchen Chopper
    September 3, 2014 at 9:49 am

Your Southwest Chicken Soup looks like heaven in a bowl! Thanks Heidy. Pinned and Stumbled! 🙂

September 3, 2014 at 10:07 am

Thank you KC for the wonderful comments!! Glad you had a chance to drop by and check out the recipe!

bakesinslippers
    September 3, 2014 at 8:56 am

This sounds so good! I love a good hearty soup.

September 3, 2014 at 10:08 am

Thank you, it was very filling and enjoyable. Thank you for dropping by.

Patty Haxton Anderson
    September 3, 2014 at 7:13 am

I just love the way the soup came together – the ingredients all just “fit”. Thanks for a beautiful dish.

September 3, 2014 at 10:09 am

Thank you Patty. I am so glad you enjoyed the recipe!!

colemangrady79
    September 3, 2014 at 12:30 am

Oh my goodness girl I am cooking this one. It sounds so good. I’m have boys playing foot ball only girl in the house is me. But, this sounds delicious. Thanks I’m excited.

September 3, 2014 at 12:32 am

Thank you Carolyn! I hope your lovely boys enjoy it!!! I had seconds myself!!!

Tricia
    September 2, 2014 at 11:58 pm

That picture is phenomenal. It should be on the cover of Gourmet Magazine!!! Not to mention the recipe is awesome!

auntbeesrecipes
    September 2, 2014 at 9:37 pm

This is a wonderful soup recipe! We like any kind of southwestern soup and yours sounds fantastic!!! So excited for fall and comfort foods!

September 2, 2014 at 11:44 pm

Thank you Brandi, it’s a simple recipe and I love the fact it’s an easy clean-up.

debi
    September 2, 2014 at 9:17 pm

Yum! This soup looks awesome! And, easy to make veggie for peeps like me. 🙂 Of course, you had me with the first word in the post… Football! I LOVE the idea of serving this with a whole “top it yourself” bar at a football party. Your football parties must be great! And, I agree with you on missing fall weather. Don’t get much of it here in SoCal either. Oh well! Thanks again for the awesome recipe! 🙂

September 2, 2014 at 11:44 pm

Thanks Debi, let me know if you try it Vegetarian style.