My Southwestern Potato White Bean Chicken Soup is perfect when entertaining friends this Football Season. It’s simple and delicious, combining Chicken, Corn, Potatoes, Whites Beans, Tomatoes with Chiles, and topped with Avocado. Football Season is knocking at our front door. Week 1 starts in two short days…The Packers will VS The Seahawks) I am amped for The Football parties to get formed!
This time of year has always been my favorite; it’s so beautiful, and there are so many things I enjoy doing outdoors. In Central Florida, I don’t get to see the season change like when I lived in Ohio. I miss that every Fall… To make up for missing the season change here in Florida, you will find I decorate like a crazy person buying all sorts of spectacular Fall decorations to make our home look more like Fall up North each year. You name it, and I use it to decorate pumpkins, gourds, fall leaves, scarecrows, hay bales, corn husks, the list goes on and on.
Fall is a magical time where everything becomes more beautiful before dying off in the cold hard, bitter winter. Everything becomes more visual and vibrant, mother nature’s gift to all of us before she places everything in sleep mode. It’s the perfect time of year to enjoy warm soups and adorable clothing that has been hiding away in your closet. Most of all, it’s the ideal time to try my recipe for Southwestern Potato White Bean and Chicken Soup and impress your friends and family this game day!
Southwestern Potato White Bean and Chicken Soup
- One tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, diced
- One large onion, chopped
- One tablespoon minced garlic
- 24 ounces low sodium chicken broth
- Two ears of corn, kernels removed
- Two jalapeño peppers, seeds removed and diced
- 4-5 medium potatoes diced
- 3 cans white beans, drained rinsed
- Two cans diced tomatoes with chiles
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Two tablespoons chopped cilantro
- One teaspoon of cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- kosher salt, to taste
- ground pepper, to taste
Other ingredients for Southwestern Potato White Bean Chicken Soup
- sour cream
- sliced avocados
- freshly grated cheese
- additional chopped cilantro
- sliced jalapeño peppers
- sliced lime
- crusty bread
- tortilla strips
- Preheat a large Dutch oven or soup Calderon on medium heat place one tablespoon of olive oil in a skillet (allow to heat), add diced uncooked chicken breast cook diced chicken till wholly done(about 6 minutes). Add chopped onions, cook for about 2-3 minutes, then add minced garlic.
- Add 24 ounces of chicken broth, corn kernels, two chopped jalapeño peppers, diced potatoes, three cans of white beans, diced tomatoes with chiles, bring to a simmer, and cook for about 10-12 minutes.
- Once ingredients have simmered 10-12 minutes, reduce heat to low, add 1/2 cup heavy cream, two tablespoons chopped cilantro, one teaspoon of cumin, 1/2 teaspoon of chili powder, kosher salt, and ground pepper to taste cook on low heat for about 20 minutes stirring occasionally.
- If desired, serve in bowls with crusty bread or tortilla strips and garnish with additional ingredients such as sour cream, sliced avocados, freshly grated cheese, chopped cilantro, sliced jalapeño peppers, or sliced lime.
© Heidy L. McCallum and The McCallum’s Shamrock Patch, 2022-2013. The unauthorized use and duplication of this material or photos without express and written permission from this blog’s author or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit to Heidy L. McCallum and The McCallum’s Shamrock Patch with appropriate and specific direction to the original content. You may not copy and paste recipes to share on Social Platforms. Please use the share buttons provided.