Delicious creamy Country Style Scalloped Potatoes are the perfect fall menu item made with Russet potatoes, onions, heavy cream, half and half cream, garlic, and s simple seasoning of nutmeg. kosher salt, and freshly ground pepper all baked to perfection in a warm cozy oven.
It’s that lovely time of year again, the children are off to school to learn and Summer is ending. It’s time to get out our favorite Classic Casserole Recipes out like my Country Style Scalloped Potatoes and turn on the oven again. Labor Day is upon us this Monday and we are about to wrap up all those warm weather dishes we have made all season. I don’t mind one bit…I am ready to have a break from the Summer heat here in Florida.
As a girl, I spent most of my childhood in North Eastern, Ohio. I miss the sound of the wind rushing through the beautiful leaves that are changing colors in October. I know it’s only the end of August but I am in a rush to start thinking of my favorite season and all the wonderful traditions it brings.You don’t mind do you?
The smell of the air even changes in Ohio after the summer almost renewing your senses… The air suddenly smells clean and fresh. I have always truly been a Fall Girl… Putting on my favorite sweaters, scarves, and leather boots. I love the seasonal foods and that aroma of freshly baked casseroles that waft through my house.
I am feeling a little homesick today knowing that Fall weather is right around the corner in Ohio…after all it’s going to be September soon and us Fall Girls like to be ready.With that in mind today I have decided to make one of my favorites Country Scalloped Potatoes. It’s warm and comforting with thinly sliced potatoes, onions, heavy cream, half and half, fresh thyme and a hint of nutmeg.
Scalloped Potatoes have always been a favorite of mine over the years…I mean they go with almost anything. It’s also such a versatile dish by changing a few minor ingredients. I use a very simple method for mine that won’t keep you in the kitchen all day. Who wants to spend all day in there anyway?
My recipe does not use cheeses. It’s a simple Country Style version that will amaze you with the creamy simple taste packed with delicious flavor that will keep your family coming back for more this upcoming Fall.
Country Scalloped Potatoes Recipe
- 2 pounds russet potatoes, peeled and sliced thinly
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced, divided by 3
- 3 tablespoons Unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons of multi-purpose flour
- 1 cup of heavy cream
- 1/2 of a cup of half and half
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- Kosher Salt, to taste
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees
- Place a long piece of foil over bottom rack to prevent spills.
- In a large glass heat-resistant casserole dish that has been sprayed with cooking spray place a layer of thinly sliced potatoes, onions, dot with one tablespoon of butter, sprinkle 1 tablespoon of flour evenly, salt and pepper layer to your taste. Repeat layers up to 3 times (end with a layer of thinly sliced onions on top.)
- In a glass dish large enough to hold 1 and 1/2 cups of liquid place heavy cream, half and half cream, minced garlic, nutmeg, salt, and pepper to taste, combine all ingredients using a small whisk.
- Gently pour milk mixture over casserole evenly.
- Place in 325-degree oven and bake covered 45 minutes. Remove foil and cook for 20 more minutes on 325 degrees to brown up onions on top. (If your potatoes are sliced larger than 1/8 of an inch this makes take longer.)
© Heidy L. McCallum and The McCallum’s Shamrock Patch, 2014. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material or photos without express and written permission from this blog’s author and/or owner are strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Heidy L. McCallum and The McCallum’s Shamrock Patch with appropriate and specific direction to the original content. You may not copy and paste recipes to share on Social Platforms, please use share buttons provided.