BBQ Chicken legs are definitely a childhood favorite of mine.The rich smoky BBQ flavor combined with juicy and tender chicken legs and special herbs and spices just brings a Kool-aid grin to my face. I know I will 10 napkins deep as soon as they have finished cooking. “Are they done yet?” So of course, I want to share one of my favorite recipes for Baked bbq Chicken Legs with y’all today.
When I was a child I used to spend an ample amount of time with my Grandparents in the Summer. Cleveland, Ohio is a wonderful Place filled with Great music wonderful local foods and all around good times.
I don’t care how young or old you are there will always be something remarkable for any age to see and do. Summers are filled with the sweet melody of a song iced cold lemonade and a subtle hint of smoke from the neighbors making barbecued chicken on their BBQ Grill.
You don’t have to be in Cleveland, Ohio to enjoy a good barbecued chicken, lemonade, or great music. You can be wherever you desire. In fact, you don’t even have to go outside if you would rather stay in. You most certainly can make Baked BBQ Chicken legs right in the oven.
This has come recipe has come in handy here in Central Florida when it’s extremely HOT outdoors. That is also what I have chosen to do today… it’s about 90 degrees in the shade here in Haines City, Florida. The recipe is fairly simple and includes a recipe for homemade barbecue sauce for your convenience.
Baked bbq Chicken Legs
- 24 chicken legs, thoroughly washed
- Maple Smokehouse dry Smoking Seasoning, your brand
- kosher salt
- fresh ground pepper
- 1 recipe for homemade BBQ Sauce, or your brand
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- To make cleanup a bit easier, you may opt to line 2-3 baking sheets with nonstick foil. Trust me these can be a messy as well as a delicious menu item. No sense in spending your night scouring pans.
- Be sure to thoroughly wash chicken legs under cold water as we have no idea where these tasty legs have been before they got to our house. Pat dry with a clean towel.
- Place chicken legs on a baking sheet that has been covered in foil. Give them a little breathing space they might start feeling claustrophobic if too close.
- Season the chicken legs with Maple Smokehouse Smoking seasoning (your brand) kosher salt and fresh ground pepper.
- Place in the preheated 400-degree oven.
- Bake for 35 minutes, brush on homemade BBQ sauce (or your brand of BBQ sauce.)
- Turn chicken legs and brush the other side with Homemade BBQ Sauce (or your brand.)
- Bake on 400 another 10-12 minutes, or till completely done.
- Remove from oven and place on the heatproof area. Feel free to slap more BBQ Sauce on and join the “10 napkins deep club” along with me.
- Be sure to serve immediately with your families favorite sides and tons of napkins!
You will surely have a decent amount left over that you can store in your refrigerator for another menu item. It should last up to 3 weeks if stored properly.
Ingredients for BBQ Sauce
- 1 cups ketchup
- 1/4 cup yellow mustard
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 small onion, minced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons cup dark molasses
- 1 and 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 and 1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 and 1/2 tablespoons steak sauce
- 1 and 1/2 tablespoons pure honey
- 1 tablespoon of tamarind paste
- 1 and 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon table salt
- 1 teaspoon of liquid smoke
- 1/2 teaspoon hot sauce
- In a bowl mix the ketchup, mustard, apple cider vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, lemon juice, steak sauce, Tamarind paste, dark molasses, honey, oil, hot sauce, brown sugar, and liquid smoke.
- In another small bowl thoroughly mix chili powder, black pepper, and table salt.
- Over medium heat warm the oil in a large saucepan. Add the onions and sauté until limp and translucent, about 5 minutes. Crush the garlic and add the garlic to the saucepan and cook for 1 minute. Add the dry spices and stir for a few minutes to marry their flavors. Add the wet ingredients.
- Simmer over medium heat for 25 minutes with the lid off to thicken it.
© Heidy L. McCallum and The McCallum’s Shamrock Patch, 2014. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material or photos without express and written permission from this blog’s author and/or owner are strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Heidy L. McCallum and The McCallum’s Shamrock Patch with appropriate and specific direction to the original content. You may not copy and paste recipes to share on Social Platforms.