Cajun Inspired Chicken & Andouille Penne Pasta combines some of my favorite food items, Penne Pasta, Cajun Seasoned Chicken, Andouille Sausage, diced tomatoes with chiles, fresh Okra, and a Delicious Cajun Cheddar Cheese sauce, all combined to make an excellent new comfort food you are going to love.
Now and then, I get bored and like to have a little fun with the dinner menu. I enjoy Penne Pasta and Cajun foods, so I thought I might combine the two of them the other night. The ingredients we often have on hand, many are a staple at our house, so this would be an open market free dinner, which is my favorite. Most you may have on hand as well, or you will find at your local market.
This recipe is a fairly forgiving recipe that you can easily make adaptations to. For instance, being that I am located in the South, I usually do not have an issue finding Andouille sausage; however, if you find your market does not carry Andouille Sausage, you can easily use a smoked sausage of your choice. Brown as you would the Andouille Sausage and use instead.
If you would like to make this and notice your market does not have fresh okra, or it is out of season, no fear most stores carry it in the freezer section; instead of steaming for 1 minute, thaw and add to pasta. You do not have to worry about cooking the okra; it has been blanched to be frozen, which equates to steaming for one minute.
Don’t have time to make a Homemade Cajun Cheese sauce? No worst-case worries scenario; you can always use a jar of your favorite brand Cheddar Cheese Sauce and add Cajun Seasoning to it. Our recipe is a remarkably adaptable menu item you can play around with as needed.
Things you will need:
1-2 tablespoons of olive oil
cajun seasoning, your brand
1 and 1/2 pound boneless and skinless chicken
1 pound of Andouille Sausage, sliced
1 (10 ounces) can dice tomatoes with chiles
1 cup fresh sliced okra, steamed 1 – 2 minutes
One recipe for cheese sauce, recipe below
1 pound cooked penne pasta, al dente
1/2 cup cheddar cheese, for topping
One teaspoon of olive oil. to coast pasta, if desired
Sliced green onions if desired
Cajun Inspired Chicken & Andouille Penne Pasta
Cajun Inspired Chicken & Andouille Penne Pasta
- 1-2 tablespoons olive oil
- Cajun seasoning your brand
- 1½ pounds boneless and skinless chicken
- 1 pound andouille sausage sliced
- 1-10 ounce can of diced tomatoes with chiles
- 1 cup freshly sliced okra steamed 1 – 2 minutes
- 1 recipe for cheese sauce recipe below
- 1 pound cooked penne pasta al dente
- ½ cup cheddar cheese for topping
- 1 teaspoon olive oil if desired
- sliced green onions if desire
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon Cajun Seasoning your brand
- Kosher salt
- fresh ground pepper
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 3 cups freshly shredded cheddar cheese
- Season boneless and skinless chicken thoroughly with Cajun Seasoning. Add 1 teaspoon olive oil to a metal skillet that has been heated to a medium – high temperature, sear chicken on both sides about 1 minute each side.
- Reduce the heat to medium and cook until the meat is no longer pink and the juices run clear.
- This should take 8 to 12 minutes. As the chicken cooks, you will want to turn it occasionally so that it browns evenly. If the chicken starts to brown too quickly reduce the heat to medium-low. Once done place on the dish and set to side to cool. Once cool dice into 1 x 1-inch pieces.
- In the same skillet on medium heat, add sliced Andouille sausage, cook about 6 minutes or until lightly brown and completely cooked through. Set to side till needed.
- Using package directions for pasta cook al dente method. Drain and rinse pasta. lightly toss will 1 teaspoon of olive oil if desired. A place to side till needed.
- Using directions provided below, make cheese sauce for pasta.
Directions for cheese sauce
- Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add flour then whisk for about 2 minutes. Slowly whisk in whole milk and heavy cream, season with salt and pepper and switch to a wooden spoon. Stir and cook until thickened, about 4-5 minutes.
- Turn off heat then add cheese and stir until melted and smooth.
- Taste and season with additional kosher salt and fresh pepper if desired.
In a large Pasta bowl or serving the dish, place pasta, add chicken, sliced Andouille sausage , 1 can of diced tomatoes with the chiles juice and all,1 cup fresh sliced okra that has been steamed for 1 minute, and cheese sauce made from recipe above. Toss pasta to coat with sauce and mix ingredients. Top with cheddar cheese, and sliced green onions. Serve immediately.
© Heidy L. McCallum and The McCallum’s Shamrock Patch, 2021-2014. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material or photos without express and written permission from this blog’s author and/or owner are strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Heidy L. McCallum and The McCallum’s Shamrock Patch with appropriate and specific direction to the original content. You may not copy and paste recipes to share on Social Platforms. Please use the share buttons provided.