This wonderful Bean and Tortilla Soup contains absolutely no Meat or Corn kernels. The wonderful Flavor comes from Fresh Diced organic Tomatoes, Tuscan Beans, Red Kidney Beans, Black Beans, garden fresh Cilantro, organic Jalapeno Peppers, and various spices.
As the heat washes over Sunny Florida, I am always looking for a NEW way to enjoy my favorite comfort foods, of course, I also I love light and Easy. This recipe for Bean and Tortilla Soup is also the perfect meal for Summer, no heavy meats just plain goodness in a bowl.
Tortilla and Bean Soup
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 cup diced Onion
- 1/2 cup Diced Green Bell Pepper
- 1/4 cup Red Bell Pepper
- 2 cloves Garlic, Minced
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and diced
- 3 cups diced Tomatoes
- 34 ounces, Chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons Tomato Paste
- 2 cups Water
- 2 cups black Beans, rinsed
- 2 cups White Beans, rinsed
- 2 cups Red Beans, rinsed
- 1/4 cup chopped Cilantro
- 2 teaspoons Cumin
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons Chili Powder
- 1 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Ground Pepper
- 3 Tablespoons Masa
- 8 whole white Corn Tortillas, Cut into 3-inch strips
- Sliced Avocados
- Diced tomatoes
- Lime Wedges
- Chopped Cilantro
- White Cheddar
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees , spray non-stick spray lightly on cookie sheet.
- Place Tortilla strips evenly on cookie sheet. Bake for 6 minutes. Be sure to watch carefully as some ovens cook faster. Once done remove from oven and place in an airtight container for later use.
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a pot over medium-high heat. Add onions, red pepper, green pepper, jalapeño pepper and minced garlic. Stir a few times. Cook about 2-3 minutes to slightly soften.
- In a large stockpot on medium heat combine tomatoes, chicken broth, tomato paste, water, black beans , white beans, red beans, cilantro,cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, salt, and freshly ground pepper. Bring to a full simmer and reduce heat to a low – medium temperature. Cook about 30 minutes on a light simmer.
- Add a small amount of water to Masa. Add the masa into the soup, simmer for an additional 25- 30 minutes.
- Once done place in the desired serving bowls, add the Tortilla Strips to top and garnish with additional ingredients list if desired.
© Heidy L. McCallum and The McCallum’s Shamrock Patch, 2014. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material or photos without express and written permission from this blog’s author and/or owner are strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Heidy L. McCallum and The McCallum’s Shamrock Patch with appropriate and specific direction to the original content. You may not copy and paste recipes to share on Social Platforms.