This recipe for Stuffed Zucchini with Sausage is Simple and Easy to follow. My recipe combines Zucchini, Hot Italian Sausage, Onions, Mozzarella Cheese, Plum Tomatoes, Red Peppers, and Romano Cheese.
In Italy, zucchini is served in a variety of ways, in the pan, in the oven, boiled or fried, alone or in combination with other ingredients. At home and in some restaurants, it’s possible to eat the flowers as well, cooked in deep-frying, known as fiori di zucca. We have chosen to stuff ours today.
Stuffed Zucchini with Sausage Recipe
- 4 medium zucchini
- 1 and 1/2 pounds Hot Italian sausage
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 cup grated mozzarella cheese
- 2 plum tomatoes, diced
- 1/4 cup diced red peppers
- 3 Tablespoon Pecorino Romano cheese
- 1 small can of tomato sauce
- 1 Tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- fresh ground pepper
- Kosher salt
- Cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 375 Degrees
- Spray 13 x 9-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Scoop pulp from each zucchini half, leaving 1/4-inch shells and reserving pulp. Arrange Zucchini shells in baking dish. Salt and pepper each zucchini (inside)
- In a large skillet over medium heat cook sausage, onion and peppers till sausage are no longer pink. About 8 minutes
- Add reserved zucchini to skillet cook about 5 minutes. Stir in diced plum tomatoes, tomato sauce, Italian seasoning, and oregano. Cook 8 min on low. Remove from heat; cool 5 minutes.
- Spoon the filling into zucchini shells. Sprinkle with Romano cheese. Bake 15-20 minutes on 375 degrees.
- Remove from oven, (place on a heat-resistant surface) add grated fresh mozzarella cheese to tops. Place in oven bake on 375 degrees till cheese is melted on tops about 5 – 7 minutes or so.
- Serve and enjoy!