This family recipe for Angel Hair with Red Sauce & Turkey Meatballs is my Sweet Grandmother Josie’s, and it’s been revamped and modified. It has become the Healthy version of her Delicious recipe. We have replaced the Sausage and Veal Meatballs with a lean Ground Turkey instead of frying our Meatballs in Olive Oil we have baked them to cut fat content.
Awhile back I started becoming ill whenever eating beef and pork more than once a week I have discovered I can eat it in moderation– Most days choose not to try my luck. It has changed my eating habits and many recipes drastically over the last year. I mainly eat Fish, Seafood, Chicken and sometimes Turkey products. I have found not only did I start feeling better I started shedding a few pounds!
I can promise you that though this recipe has been drastically modified from Grandma Josie’s it definitely does not lack flavor or taste. I think that says a lot for this ex-Beef lover to enjoy it just as much as the old recipe by my beloved grandmother Josie.
Angel Hair with Red Sauce & Turkey Meatballs
- 1 and 1/2 pounds ground lean turkey
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 egg whites
- 1/2 cup shredded Romano cheese
- 1/2 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 1 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of cracked pepper
Directions for Turkey Meatballs
- This method is so simple and easy! In a large food processor combine lean ground turkey, 2 egg whites, minced garlic, Romano cheese, bread crumbs, chopped parsley, chopped basil, oregano, rosemary, crushed red pepper, Kosher salt, and cracked pepper.
- Pulse food processor initially to start incorporating ingredients, turn to a low setting and completely mix ingredients. Remove mixture from food processor. Form the meatballs about the size of a golf ball, and put on a clean dry lined cookie sheet or nonstick cookie sheet.
- The recipe should make approximately give or take 18 – 20 meatballs.
- Place in refrigerator till needed.
Homemade Red Sauce Ingredients
- 1- 28-ounce can of Center San Marzano crushed tomatoes, or your brand
- 1 -14.5-Ounce can of Cento diced San Marzano tomatoes
- 1 – 60-ounce can of Cento tomato paste
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup red table wine
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 medium onion, finely diced
- 1/2 cup Italian red sweet peppers, finely diced
- 1/ cup Portobello mushrooms, roughly diced
- 1/4 cup Italian green peppers, finely diced
- 2 tablespoons Italian parsley, chopped finely
- 2 tablespoons dried basil
- 1 tablespoon dried Italian herb blend
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon of kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon of crushed pepper flakes
- 1 and 1/2 tablespoons of olive oil, to sauté vegetables
Directions for Red Sauce
- In a large skillet over medium heat add olive oil and slightly heat. Add onion, minced garlic, red sweet peppers, green sweet peppers, Portobello mushrooms, and sauté for about 4 minutes or till softened. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- In a large saucepan on low heat add, crushed tomatoes, diced tomatoes, tomato paste, smooth and wine. Stir to incorporate all ingredient smooth.
- Add onion, minced garlic, red sweet peppers, green sweet peppers, Portobello mushrooms that have been sautéing . Stir to mix all ingredients .
- Add parsley, dried basil, dried Italian herb blend, dried oregano, kosher salt, black pepper, crushed pepper flakes . Cook on low heat for 20 minutes — stirring occasionally .
- While sauce is cooking, remove meatballs from refrigerator and place in preheated oven and cook for about 20 minutes. Remove from oven after 20 minutes and place in a red sauce that is cooking on low heat.
- Cook sauce on very low heat for about 45 minutes, stirring about every 5-7 minutes (careful not to break meatballs) Remove from heat .
- Using a slotted spoon remove meatballs and place in a serving bowl. Once meatballs are removed from sauce, place sauce in a serving bowl. Set both to side till pasta is ready.
Other ingredients needed
- 12 – 16 ounces of uncooked pasta noodles, your brand
- 1/4 cup Fresh chopped basil
- Romano cheese for topping, if desired
- Olive oil
Directions for Pasta and assembly
- Cook pasta using packages directions for al dente method in salted water .
- Drain noodles using a colander and then rinse noodles in hot water while still in the colander.
- Place in serving the dish and toss with about 1 teaspoon of olive oil to coat noodles to prevent sticking or drying out.
- Place serving bowl of meatballs and sauce on the dinner table with pasta.
- In separate containers place chopped basil , cheese, and hot pepper flakes to top Angel Hair pasta and sauce.
© Heidy L. McCallum and The McCallum’s Shamrock Patch, 2014. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material or photos without express and written permission from this blog’s author and/or owner are strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Heidy L. McCallum and The McCallum’s Shamrock Patch with appropriate and specific direction to the original content. You may not copy and paste recipes to share on Social Platforms.