My family recipe for Angel Hair with Red Sauce & Turkey Meatballs is my Sweet Grandmother Josie’s Italian-American recipe and it’s been totally revamped and modified. The recipe has become the Healthy version of her delicious recipe. I have replaced the Sausage and Veal Meatballs with a lean Ground Turkey instead of frying our Meatballs in olive oil we have baked them to cut fat content.
A while back, I started becoming slightly ill whenever eating beef and pork more than once a week I have discovered I can eat it in moderation. Most days choose not to try my luck. It has changed my eating habits and many recipes drastically over the last year. I mainly eat Fish, Seafood, Chicken and sometimes Turkey products. I have found not only did I start feeling better I started shedding a few pounds.
I can promise you that though this recipe has been drastically modified from Grandma Josie’s original it definitely does not lack flavor or taste. I think that says a lot for this ex-Beef lover to enjoy it just as much as the old recipe by my beloved grandmother Josie.
Angel Hair with Red Sauce & Turkey Meatballs
- 1 and 1/2 pounds ground lean turkey
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 egg whites
- 1/2 cup shredded Romano cheese
- 1/2 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
Directions for Turkey Meatballs
- In a large food processor combine lean ground turkey, 2 egg whites, minced garlic, Romano cheese, bread crumbs, chopped parsley, chopped basil, oregano, crushed red pepper, Kosher salt, and cracked pepper.
- Pulse food processor initially to start incorporating ingredients, turn to a low setting and completely mix ingredients. Remove mixture from food processor. Form the meatballs about the size of a golf ball, and put on a clean dry lined cookie sheet or nonstick cookie sheet.
- The recipe should make approximately give or take 18-20 meatballs.
- Place in refrigerator till needed.
Homemade Red Sauce Ingredients
- 1- 28-ounce can of organic crushed tomatoes
- 1 -14.5- ounce can of organic diced tomatoes
- 1 – 6-ounce can of organic tomato paste
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 medium onion, finely diced
- 1/2 cup Portobello mushrooms, roughly diced
- 3 tablespoons Italian parsley, chopped finely
- 2-3 tablespoons fresh basil
- 1 teaspoon of kosher salt
- 1 and 1/2 tablespoons of olive oil
Directions for Red Sauce
- In a large skillet over medium heat add olive oil and slightly heat. Add onion, minced garlic, red sweet peppers, green sweet peppers, Portobello mushrooms, and sauté for about 4 minutes or till softened. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- In a large saucepan over low heat add crushed tomatoes, diced tomatoes, and tomato paste. Stir to incorporate all ingredients until smooth.
- Add onion, minced garlic, Portobello mushrooms that have been sautéing. Stir to mix all ingredients.
- Add parsley, dried basil, dried Italian herb blend, dried oregano, kosher salt. Cook on low heat for 20 minutes stirring occasionally.
- While sauce is cooking, remove meatballs from refrigerator and place in preheated oven and cook for about 20 minutes. Remove from oven after 20 minutes and place in a red sauce that is cooking on low heat.
- Cook sauce on very low heat for about 45 minutes, stirring about every 5-7 minutes (careful not to break meatballs) Remove from heat.
- Using a slotted spoon remove meatballs and place in a serving bowl. Once meatballs are removed from sauce, place sauce in a serving bowl. Set both to side till pasta is ready.
Other ingredients needed
- 12 – 16 ounces of uncooked pasta noodles, your brand
- 1/4 cup of Freshly chopped basil
- Romano cheese for topping, if desired
- Olive oil
Directions for Pasta and assembly
- Cook pasta using packages directions for al dente method in salted water.
- Drain noodles using a colander and then rinse noodles in hot water while still in the colander.
- Place the serving bowl of meatballs and sauce on the dinner table with pasta.
- In separate containers place chopped basil, cheese, and hot pepper flakes to top Angel Hair pasta and sauce.