One of the things I love is good crunchy Southern Fried Chicken, unfortunately, the oils used in that wonderful Chicken don’t seem to me. I have learned over the years that fried foods tend to make me very ill. It’s one of those things where I tend to Pick my poison carefully, these days. So I am sharing my favorite recipe for Oven Baked Fried Chicken with y’all today
I really wanted Fried Chicken the other day so what does one do when they absolutely CRAVE something they can not eat? They Adapt and overcome. With that said. I decided on making a baked version. I looked at the net for a few recipes ideas, then decided to go back to my family’s recipes. I decided to make a few adaptations that would suit my needs. Hence my Oven Baked Fried Chicken recipe being born
Oven Baked Fried Chicken
Ingredients needed for marinating
- 2 Cups buttermilk
- 1/4 cup Tabasco sauce
- 1 teaspoon of kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon Cajun seasoning, your brand
- 1 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 whole chicken, cut into pieces
- Wash whole chicken thoroughly (very important since chicken may have undesired residue still on the skin and inside)
- At this time you will want to use a sharp butcher’s knife and cut the chicken into desired pieces. 2 Breasts, 2 wings, 2 legs, and lastly 2 thighs.
- Cut all chicken as directed in above link you have been provided. Be sure to rinse and pat dry all chicken after cutting up.
- Once you have cut your chicken up into pieces you will need a large plastic container or glass container with tight-fitting lid. Place all ingredients listed above in container, using a small whisk mix all ingredients thoroughly. Place Chicken in the mixture turns into the mixture a few times to coat.
- Place in your refrigerator, for up to 12 hours. — You will want to turn chicken in the mixture a few times.
- When desired time has elapsed for marinating your chicken, drain chicken of excess marinade. Set drained meat to side. — You may use a colander to drain chicken in sink to make things easier
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees
Ingredients needed for breading Chicken
- 1 cup multi-purpose flour, for coating
- 3 eggs
- 1 tablespoon of tabasco sauce
- 2-3 cups multi-purpose flour, for breading
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon Cajun seasoning
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- In a medium container with tight-fitting lid or gallon size ziplock bag, place 1 cup of flour for coating. Set to sideIn medium size glass bowl or container of choice, crack 3 eggs, add tabasco sauce, whisk to combine all ingredients.
- In medium size glass bowl or container of choice, crack 3 eggs, add tabasco sauce, whisk to combine all ingredients. In a clean dry plastic container with tight-fitting lid or large Ziploc bag if desired (gallon size preferably) place 2-3 cups flour, baking powder, Cajun seasoning, and black pepper. Place a tight-fitting lid on a container or seal ziplock bag. Shake vigorously to combine all ingredients. Set to side.
- In a clean dry plastic container with tight-fitting lid or large Ziploc bag if desired (gallon size preferably) place 2-3 cups flour, baking powder, Cajun seasoning, and black pepper. Place a tight-fitting lid on a container or seal ziplock bag. Shake vigorously to combine all ingredients. Set to side.
- Once you have all containers ready and the oven has been preheated to 425 degrees, you will start by placing 1-2 pieces of chicken in flour container for coating at a time. Place in or on clean, and dry container or dish. (careful not to disturb flour)
- Once you have completed all 8 pieces of chicken, place each piece of chicken in egg mixture — (be sure to coat entire piece of chicken in an egg) as you complete each piece place one at a time in flour mixture container and shake to coat thoroughly. Place the chicken on baking racks you have placed on the cookie sheet at this time. You will continue this process till each piece has been done and placed on the baking rack on the cookie sheet.
- Place in preheated oven to 425 degrees and bake 45 -50 minutes. — (You may want to turn chicken 25 minutes into baking for BEST results)
- Let chicken cool slightly before serving.
If you are having a hard time getting your chicken to brown up you may use a trick to get it to come out perfect by brushing lightly with a little oil.