Apple-Cabbage Coleslaw is one of those deliciously refreshing side dishes that will compliment most of your grilled menu items; such as chicken, fish, or even pork. Made with crisp green cabbage, purple cabbage, crunchy carrots, green apples, red delicious apples, sweet red bell peppers, celery, onion, dried cranberries and a homemade dressing to bring it all together.
Who says apples are just for October? I love apples and I love the fresh taste and texture the apples and cabbage bring to this recipe for Apple-Cabbage Coleslaw. This really is a great recipe to serve as a side or even on a pulled pork sandwich even on a warm summer day. If someone ever tells you, “Apples are only for October or fall”, don’t talk to them; you don’t need that kind of negativity in your life.
Family picnics and barbecues just aren’t complete without a side of cold creamy coleslaw. This Apple and Cabbage Coleslaw will be perfect to bring a little life to the next family gathering by the poolside or lake. Be sure to make plenty because after your guests taste this side you’ll wish you had.
Apple Cabbage Coleslaw
- 2 cups of shredded cabbage
- 1 cup shredded purple cabbage
- 1/2 large carrot, shredded
- 1/2 red sweet bell pepper, finely diced
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 stalk of celery, finely diced
- 1 red delicious apple shredded
- 1 green apple, shredded
- 1/2 of a cup of dried cranberries
- 1/2 of a cup real mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon of Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons of sweet pickle relish
- 2 tablespoons sugar, optional
- 1/4 teaspoon celery seed
- kosher salt to own taste
- freshly ground black pepper to own taste
- Shred cabbage, purple cabbage, and carrot in a large bowl.
- Slice green onions, dice the celery, shred the red apple, shred the green apple, and add to the large bowl. Next, add the dried cranberries to the large bowl. Toss the ingredients lightly to combine them.
- In a small bowl add mayo, apple cider vinegar, Dijon mustard, sweet pickle relish, and sugar. Whisk to combine the ingredients.
- Add the mayo mixture to the cabbage and apples and toss till completely combined.
- Chill for 1 hour or more before serving.