My Chicken Enchiladas with Verde Sauce is fairly simple to make from scratch using delicious white chicken meat, fresh cascabel Chile peppers, tomatillos, fresh corn tortillas, Monterey Jack cheese, cilantro, and a hint of lime, topped with diced tomatoes and avocados.
Tomatillo salsa verde is a delicious Mexican green salsa made with roasted tomatillos, Chile peppers, lime juice, and cilantro which makes this dish outstanding. It’s another delicious way to take advantage of the lower cost of chicken meat. It’s become one of our families favorites over the years, I can promise it will fly off your dinner table like there’s no tomorrow.
Below you will find my recipe and simple instructions to make your own delicious homemade Chicken Enchiladas with Verde Sauce for your family and friends quickly and easily from start to finish.
Chicken Enchiladas with Verde Sauce
- 2 pounds of chicken diced or shredded
- 1 cascabel chile
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 cups of drained tomatillo
- 8 fresh corn tortillas
- 3/4 cup Monterey Jack cheese
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons of fresh lime juice
- 3 tablespoons of cilantro
- Kosher salt
- fresh ground pepper
- sour cream, to serve
- lime wedges, to serve
- diced tomatoes
- diced avocado
- Place chicken in saucepan and cover with water, bring to a boil, lower heat and simmer 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, soak the dried Chili in hot water for about 30 minutes, or until softened. Remove stem and slice down pepper remove all seeds by gently scraping.
- Drain chicken of water and let cool slightly. Shred chicken using two forks. Place in a bowl and set aside.
- Heat the oil in a pan, add garlic and onion. Saute about 3-4 minutes, till translucent. Chop and add chilies and tomatillos. Cook stirring constantly until tomatillos start to break apart.
- Lower the heat and simmer 10 minutes. Cool slightly then place in blender, add cilantro, lime juice, salt, and pepper- purée until smooth.
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. Soften tortillas by placing in foil, and steaming on a plate over boiling water.
- Place 1/8 of the mixture into tortilla, roll into an enchilada, place in an oven-safe baking dish large enough to hold 8 enchiladas. Add sauce on top of all 8 enchiladas. Evenly add cheese over enchiladas.
- Bake on 350 for 20-25 minutes till cheese is bubbly and melted.
- Serve with sour cream, avocado, tomatoes and lime wedges if desired.
Make Enchilada Stacks
Use cooking spray to coat the bottom of the ovenproof dish. Place small corn tortilla shell flat in the baking dish, add a small amount of meat mixture on top. Add a small amount of cheese, repeat with another tortilla, and meat mixture. Stack 3-4 corn tortillas high, top with Verde sauce and cheese. Bake at 350 for 15 minutes covered, remove foil–bake another 10 minutes or till cheese is bubbly and melted.
Serve with sour cream, avocado, tomatoes and lime wedges if desired.
© Heidy L. McCallum and The McCallum’s Shamrock Patch, 2017-13. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this blog’s author and/or owner are strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Heidy L. McCallum and The McCallum’s Shamrock Patch with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.