Chicken Enchiladas with Verde Sauce is fairly simple to make from scratch using delicious white chicken meat, fresh cascabel Chile peppers, tomatillos, fresh corn tortillas, Monterey Jack cheese, cilantro, and a hint of lime, topped with diced tomatoes and avocados.
Tomatillo salsa verde is a delicious Mexican green salsa made with roasted tomatillos, Chile peppers, lime juice, and cilantro which makes this dish outstanding. It’s another delicious way to take advantage of the lower cost of chicken meat. It’s become one of our families favorites over the years, I can promise it will fly off your dinner table like there’s no tomorrow.
Below you will find my recipe and simple instructions to make your own delicious homemade Chicken Enchiladas with Verde Sauce for your family and friends quickly and easily from start to finish.
Ingredients needed for Chicken Enchiladas with Verde Sauce
Two pounds of chicken diced or shredded
One cascabel chile
Two garlic cloves, crushed
One medium onion, finely chopped
Two cups of drained tomatillo
Eight fresh corn tortillas
3/4 cup Monterey Jack cheese
Two tablespoons olive oil
Two tablespoons of fresh lime juice
Three tablespoons of cilantro
fresh ground pepper
sour cream, to serve
lime wedges, to serve
Chicken Enchiladas with Verde Sauce
- 2 pounds chicken diced or shredded
- 1 cascabel chile
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 2 cups tomatillo drained
- 8 corn tortillas fresh
- ¾ cup Monterey Jack cheese
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lime juice fresh
- 3 tablespoons cilantro chopped
- Kosher salt
- Black pepper
- ½ cup sour cream to serve
- lime wedges to serve
- 1 cup tomatoes diced
- 2 avocado diced
- Place chicken in a saucepan and cover with water, bring to a boil, lower heat and simmer 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, soak the dried Chili in hot water for about 30 minutes, or until softened. Remove stem and slice down pepper; remove all seeds by gently scraping.
- Drain the chicken of water and let cool slightly. Shred chicken using two forks. Place in a bowl and set aside.
- Heat the oil in a pan, add garlic and onion. Saute for about 3-4 minutes, until translucent. Chop and add chilies and tomatillos. Cook stirring constantly until tomatillos start to break apart.
- Lower the heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Cool slightly then place in a blender, add cilantro, lime juice, salt, and pepper- purée until smooth.
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. Soften tortillas by placing them in foil and steaming them on a plate over boiling water.
- Place ⅛ of the mixture into a tortilla, roll into an enchilada, place in an oven-safe baking dish large enough to hold 8 enchiladas. Add sauce on top of all 8 enchiladas. Evenly add cheese over enchiladas.
- Bake on 350 for 20-25 minutes until the cheese is bubbly and melted.
- Serve with sour cream, avocado, tomatoes, and lime wedges if desired.
Use cooking spray to coat the bottom of the ovenproof dish. Place small corn tortilla shell flat in the baking dish, add a small amount of meat mixture on top. Add a small amount of cheese, repeat with another tortilla and meat mixture. Stack 3-4 corn tortillas high, top with Verde sauce and cheese. Bake at 350 for 15 minutes covered, remove foil–bake another 10 minutes or till cheese is bubbly and melted. Disclaimer: Although themccallumsshamrockpatch.com attempts to provide accurate nutritional information, these figures should be considered estimates. Varying factors such as product types or brands purchased, natural fluctuations in fresh produce, and how ingredients are processed change the effective nutritional information in any given recipe. Under no circumstances will themccallumsshamrockpatch.com be responsible for any loss or damage resulting from your reliance on nutritional information.
If you loved the recipe for Chicken Enchiladas with Verde Sauce, here are some other suggested recipes
- Shrimp and Crab Enchiladas are the perfect balance of the fabulous seafood flavors of jumbo succulent shrimp and decadent lump Crab with all the Mexican flavors wrapped in a deliciously complex Red Enchilada sauce and voted as one of the best comfort foods for dinner by family and friends alike.
- Chicken and Refried Bean Burritos are made with a delicious homemade Refried Beans mixture, juicy seasoned white tender chicken breast meat, long-grain white rice, Colby Jack cheese, Hass avocados, fresh Homemade Salsa with Poblano Chilies, and chopped fresh cilantro.
- Authentic Guacamole is made with simple to find fresh organic ingredients that will scream deliciously flavorful to all your family and friends. Plus an easy to follow Pro-Tip guide to keeping your Homemade Guacamole from browning without preservatives or additives.