There is much Irish Soda Bread on the net. However, this one is 100% traditional. There are 4 simple ingredients. If that doesn’t excite you, maybe this will… This bread does not require a fancy Breadmaker or heavy-duty mixer. You also won’t be kneading this dough forever…How amazing is that?
Happy St. Patrick’s Day from the McCallum family… I wanted to share the Traditional 4 Ingredient Soda Bread with you today. There are no preservatives or sugar and very little salt. It’s seemly a healthy choice of comfort foods for the most part…I also have to tell you this is simply the easiest bread recipe you will ever make. Below you will find my 4 ingredients, the no-knead recipe for Traditional Irish Soda Bread.
Ingredients needed for Traditional Soda Bread
- Five cups of unbleached all-purpose flour
- One and 1/2 teaspoons of salt
- One and 1/4 teaspoon of baking soda
- Sixteen ounces of Buttermilk
Traditional Irish Soda Bread
- 5 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1½ teaspoons salt
- 1¼ teaspoons baking soda
- 16 ounces Buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Before you start preparing the dough to grease a Dutch oven and preheat it in a 425-degree oven for about 10 minutes
- In a large bowl sift together the flour, baking soda, and salt. Make a well in the center and slowly pour in the buttermilk incorporating it into the dry ingredients with a heavy wooden spoon. You will want to do this a little at a time.
- Once all 4 ingredients have been mixed together to form a sticky dough place it out on a floured cutting board and knead lightly. Only Knead a short time!
- Form the dough into a ball and flatten slightly into a disc shape. Place a sharp knife in flour, so the dough will not stick to it and make a cross on the top of your bread dough.
- Place the dough into the preheated Dutch oven and cover with the lid – bake for 30-35 minutes.
- Remove the lid from the Dutch oven and bake another 15 minutes.
© Heidy L. McCallum and The McCallum’s Shamrock Patch, 2021-2013 unauthorized use and/or duplication of content/ material without express and written permission from this blog’s author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Heidy L. McCallum and The McCallum’s Shamrock Patch with proper and specific direction to the original content.