Delicious and Spicy are the two keywords for describing this Tequila Run Pasta with Shrimp and Mussels in Spicy Tomato Sauce – A flavor combination of Penne Pasta, fresh mussels, San Marzano Tomatoes, jalapeño peppers, limes, Spanish onion, Tequila, fresh spicy homemade tomato sauce seasoned with cilantro and other herbs.
If there are two things, I grew up with Italian Traditional and Spanish foods. Our family is not Spanish by any means; I just used to vacation in Acapulco, Mexico, every summer. I have to say I miss being there these days. I was blessed to own a timeshare there. Everything seemed brighter the food more vibrant and just a COLORFUL good time.
As a young teenage girl, I had not one clue about how to cook the foods we grew to enjoy there as I have gotten older and spent time living in several multicultural areas. I have to say I have LEARNED a Majestic amount about Traditional Spanish, Mexican, Cuban, Puerto Rican, and Dominican cooking styles.
These days my style is not so traditional unless I am making a family recipe. I tend to make many recipes that are considered Spanish Fusion. They are original, and they are mine. “WHY don’t I stick to The Traditional Cooking style I used for so many years?” The answer is simple. I found a chance to bring back to life and update those fabulous recipes I enjoyed over the years. I EAT and COOK with Color, and I wanted my style of cooking to reflect this fact.
This recipe is an example of my Cooking Style. I hope you enjoy the Cultural Fusion of Spanish and Italian undertones. This recipe is a perfect meal to impress your guests. It’s HIGH in flavor and has a striking color. An unusual combination of Pasta, Shrimp, Mussels, and a Spicy Tequila Red Sauce. Seasoned with Fresh Oregano, Cilantro, Lime Juice, and other various spices.
Pasta with Shrimp and Mussels in Spicy Tomato Sauce
- One pound Penne Pasta
- One & 1/2 pounds of medium fresh shrimp
- Two pounds, or six mussels per person
- One -28-ounce can of San Marzano tomatoes, diced tomatoes
- One cup homemade fish stock, or chicken broth
- TwoJalapeno peppers, one thinly sliced, one minced
- Two limes, sliced and halved
- 1/4 cup diced red Spanish onion
- One ounce Tequila, (your brand)
- Three tablespoons tomato paste
- Three tablespoons of chopped fresh cilantro
- One and 1/2 tablespoons of fresh oregano leaves
- One tablespoon minced garlic
- One tablespoon of olive oil
- One teaspoon sugar, optional
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Fresh ground pepper, to taste
A flavor combination of Penne Pasta, fresh mussels, San Marzano Tomatoes, jalapeño peppers, limes, Spanish onion, Tequila, fresh spicy homemade tomato sauce seasoned with cilantro and other herbs.
- 1 pound Penne Pasta
- 1½ pounds fresh shrimp shells removed and cleaned
- 2 pounds fresh Mussels or 6 mussels per person
- 1 -28- ounce can of San Marzano tomatoes diced tomatoes
- 1 cup homemade fish stock or chicken broth
- 2 Jalapeno peppers 1 thinly sliced, 1 minced, seeds removed
- 2 limes sliced and halved
- 1/4 cup diced red Spanish onion
- 1-2- ounces Tequila (your brand)
- 3 tablespoons organic tomato paste
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1½ tablespoons fresh oregano leaves
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1 teaspoon sugar optional
- Kosher salt
- fresh ground pepper
Using a large stockpot or deep large metal skillet (heated to medium heat), add 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil, garlic, minced jalapeño, and red onions. Saute until slightly softened, and oil is fragrant. Add the fish stock or chicken broth and tequila. Let the broth come to a good simmer, or slight bubble, Add the tomatoes, and tomatoes paste, 1 teaspoon of sugar, kosher salt, and fresh ground pepper. Stirring to combine, let it come back to a simmer about 7 minutes. Start pasta water at this time. Add Mussels to the sauce, cook about 5 minutes, add shrimp cook another 3-4 minutes. Remove from heat.
After Bringing salted water to a rolling boil in the pasta pan, add pasta and cook until Al dente, if you are unsure read package directions for your brand of pasta). Drain and rinse pasta if desired. Toss in a little olive oil to coat noodles. Add 1 to 2 ladles of sauce only, toss to coat. Place in a serving dish, add mussels and shrimp to top and desired amount of sauce (reserve rest for later) Top with jalapeño slices and lime slices, additional fresh oregano leaves, and cilantro leaves may be used to garnish or enhance.
© Heidy L. McCallum and The McCallum’s Shamrock Patch, 2020- 2013. Unauthorized use and duplication of this material without express and written permission from this blog’s author and owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Heidy L. McCallum and The McCallum’s Shamrock Patch with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.