Portobello Mushrooms with Eggs & Chorizo over Rice may look a little fancy, yet it’s is so simple and easy. Portobello Mushrooms, eggs, chorizo, tomatoes, rice, black beans, and Spanish spices make this a show stopper to serve at breakfast.
This simple recipe for Portobello Mushrooms with Eggs & Chorizo over Rice can be served for breakfast, brunch, lunch, or even a light dinner. You can easily turn the recipe into a vegan dish simply by omitting the Chorizo sausage and substituting a favorite vegetarian replacement.
Portobello Mushrooms with Eggs & Chorizo
- 4 large eggs
- 4 large Portobello mushrooms, caps removed
- 6 ounces chorizo, frying kind, diced and lightly fried
- 2 plum tomatoes diced dived by 2
- 1 cup long grain rice
- 1 and 1/2 cups of water, for rice
- 1/4 cup black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 teaspoons of minced Serrano pepper
- 1 tablespoon oil
- dash of Adobo, Spanish seasoning
- kosher salt
- fresh cracked pepper
- 1 large navel or blood orange sliced in rounds, remove peels
- bitter lettuce
NOTE When I do my oranges, I slice thin rounds, then remove peels by using pastry shears to make it look as they do.
- In a medium saucepan with tight-fitting lid or rice pan add 1 and 1/2 cups of salted water. Add 1 tablespoon of oil to salted water.
- Once the salted water comes to a heavy boil, add rice, Stir rice. Let boil 2 minutes. Cover rice with lid. Boil 1 minute and reduce heat to very low temperature. Let rice completely absorb all water. (You are using a dry rice method) it will take about 15-20 minutes.
- Once all water is absorbed add 1/2 of your diced tomatoes, 1/4 cup black beans, and 2 teaspoons of minced pepper. Gently mix in rice, replace the lid on the pan immediately. Turn off heat, and let sit while you begin the other steps.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, or lightly spray.
- Lightly salt and pepper inside of all 4 large Portobello mushrooms.
- Place the mushrooms on a lined or sprayed baking sheet.
- Equally distribute other 1/2 of diced tomato, as well as diced chorizo around edges and some in the center of the portobello mushrooms.
- Carefully crack one large egg into each portobello mushroom.
- Lightly salt, pepper, and use a dash of Adobo spice on each one.
- Place in oven for 12 to 16 minutes or your egg has set to your liking. (All ovens vary in time)
Place a bed of rice on a serving plate for each person, arrange orange slices on the bed of rice, add bitter lettuce to garnish. Place one portobello mushroom on each. Serve immediately.