This delicious combination of Shrimp, Avocados, Mangoes, Pineapple and Jalapeno Peppers is so simple and easy to make. Do you love Shrimp Ceviche, yet hate waiting for the lime juice to cook it? I have a simple cure for that. This recipe for Easy Shrimp Ceviche has all of the flavors, yet none of the long wait time. It looks stunning in a wine glass, champagne glass, martini glass or for a South American vibe use a Margarita glass.
Ceviche is marinated in a citrus-based mixture, with lemons and limes being the most commonly used in the recipe. In addition to adding a citrus flavor, the citric acid causes the proteins in the seafood appearing to be cooked. The traditional-style ceviche was marinated for about three hours.
Below you will find my simplified version of Shrimp Ceviche, which also eliminates the chance of any bacteria forming due to improper processing of the traditional cooking method used in the past. Since acid marinades will not kill bacteria or parasitic worms, unlike the heat of cooking I have eliminated that process.
Easy Shrimp Ceviche with Mango, Pineapple & Avocado
- 2 pounds medium shrimp
- 3 large ripe Hass avocados diced
- 2 mangoes diced
- 2/3 cup of diced pineapple
- 2 jalapeño peppers, minced
- 1/4 cup red pepper, minced
- 1/2 cup red onion, minced
- 1/2 cup cilantro leaves, washed and dried
- 1/4 cup green onion (scallions), thinly sliced
- Juice of 2-3 limes
- Kosher salt
- Fresh cracked pepper
- Mince the red onion. Place the minced red onion in a bowl of cold salted water, and let them soak for 10 minutes while you prepare the shrimp and other ingredients. If the shrimp is not cooked, bring a pot of salted water to a boil, and add the juice of one lime to the pot.
- Boil the shrimp for 2 minutes-3 minutes, only. Drain shrimp and rinse with cold water. Devein the shrimp and trim off the tails, and place in a bowl.
- Finely mince the red pepper and jalapeño (removing seeds and veins) and place in the bowl with the shrimp. Add thinly sliced scallions to shrimp. Add the juice of 2 limes and toss. Dice avocado and the mango into small cubes, dice the pineapple, add the shrimp.Drain and rinse onions, then add the shrimp, salt, and pepper.
- Toss mixture briefly with the cilantro, reserving a few leaves for garnish.
- Chill for about 15 minutes or until ready to serve.
© Heidy L. McCallum and The McCallum’s Shamrock Patch, 2014. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material or photos without express and written permission from this blog’s author and/or owner are strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Heidy L. McCallum and The McCallum’s Shamrock Patch with appropriate and specific direction to the original content. You may not copy and paste recipes to share on Social Platforms.