This is a great menu item for an appetizer or luncheon. The combination is utterly Fantastic and Fresh tasting. Every time I have made these for a get-together or dinner party they fly off the table. Our guests and family members seriously love them. They are simple with a little planning.
You may want to do a few things in advances, such as the Homemade Salsa and marinated chicken. The great thing is you can make the salsa the night before, and not worry.
Ingredients you will need to have on hand
Taco Cups Ingredients
- 2 pounds boneless chicken breasts, diced
- Small 6 inch fresh Corn tortillas
- 1 marinade recipe, listed below
- 1 salsa recipe, listed below
- 3/4 cup of grated cheddar cheese
- Sour cream, optional
- 1 sliced lime for garnish
Seasoning and marinade Ingredients for chicken
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cumin
- 3 tablespoons of Olive Oil
- Juice of 2 fresh limes
Directions for Chicken and Taco Cups
- In glass dish combine marinade and seasoning ingredients from the list, whisk thoroughly to combine.Once all ingredients are combined, set aside.
- In glass baking dish large enough to hold 2 pounds of diced chicken, add diced chicken evenly. Once you have placed the chicken evenly, add marinade over the diced chicken. You will now want to be sure the chicken is evenly coated, turn chicken in the marinade a few times.
- Cover tightly. Place in refrigerator for 1 hour.Once you have marinated the chicken for desired time, remove from refrigerator and place on the counter.
- Pre Heat oven to 375, while pre-heating oven press or fold tortillas to fit into muffin cups coated with olive oil cooking spray, forming bowls; coat bowls with cooking spray. (It helps to heat the tortillas a little beforehand to make them more pliable).
- Bake at 375ºF for 6 to 8 minutes or until golden brown.Remove from oven, set aside to cool while you are finishing the meat.
- While the oven is preheating, start heating a large enough skillet to hold the entire amount of chicken you have marinated, on medium heat.Once heated, place diced the chicken in skillet, cook chicken till done, about 10-12 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Drain if necessary of the excess juice.
- Once Taco Cups and chicken are done, place an even amount of chicken in each taco cup, add the desired amount of cheese, salsa (recipe below) and sour cream. Garnish with lime wedges.
I’m a big fan of any salsa! However, there are some specific conditions. The major one is Being HOMEMADE. We live in Florida so we are lucky enough to have our own Herb Garden and access to GREAT Organic Produce ALL year-long.
Salsa is at its best when you can utilize the freshest ingredients. If you find you have no access to a FRESH produce stand or market and have to buy them from your local grocer, by all means, use what’s in the season, to have optimal flavor. Like any recipe, the best Salsa is made from LOVE.
- 2 pounds fresh organic plum tomatoes, diced & seeds removed
- 1 large poblano chile pepper, roasted
- 1 medium jalapeño pepper, roasted
- 1/2 cup finely diced red onion
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro
- Juice of 1 lime
- Zest of one lime
- 1 tablespoon Olive oil
- Sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- dash of cumin
- dash of sugar
Basic method for roasting peppers in oven
- Preheat oven to 500 degrees.
- Place the entire pepper on a sheet pan. Place in the oven for 30 to 40 minutes, until the skins are completely wrinkled and peppers are charred, turning them a few times.
- Remove peppers from the oven and immediately cover them tightly with aluminum foil. Set aside for 20 minutes. Once they have completely cooled it will be simple to remove the peels and seeds.
- Once you have finished this process you will want to dice up your peppers for salsa. When doing the Jalapeno, it is a good idea to wear gloves, as they may burn your skin.
Directions continued for salsa
In a glass dish, places diced tomatoes, diced roasted peppers, red onions, cilantro, juice of one lime, lime zest, olive oil, sea salt, ground black pepper, the dash of cumin, and sugar. Gently but thoroughly combine all ingredients.