Red sweet peppers and carrots mixed with green and purple cabbage give this side dish salad color. The sweet pickle relish and Dijon mustard give it a whole NEW flavor. Your friends and family will WONDER what that Secret Ingredient is.
Our family believes in making everything with a twist of flavor. They say…” If it has no flavor than it has no Soul!!” The color is a HUGE thing with our family when eating. Combine the two of them and you have one Happy McCallum Clan.
Coleslaw with a Twist
- 1/2 cabbage head, cut into chunks
- 1/4 red cabbage, shredded
- 1/2 red sweet bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 large carrot, chopped
- 1 stalk of celery, chopped
- 1/2 cup real mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon of Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon of sweet pickle relish
- 2 tablespoons green onions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon celery seed
- Parsley to garnish
- Using a food processor, gently process the red sweet bell pepper, celery, and carrot, being careful not to over the process.
- Cut 1/2 of the green cabbage (only) into chunks and place in the food processor and process lightly, making sure the cabbage doesn’t become over processed.
- Slice the remaining cabbage thinly. Mix the cabbage together with the processed vegetables.
- In a separate bowl, add shredded purple cabbage and mix the remaining ingredients together . Allow to stand for a few minutes.
- Combine the mayonnaise mixture with the vegetables and toss.
- Chill for 1 hour.
Note– You may also use bagged shredded cabbage, and omit the food processor stage.